A few questions - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2006, 08:42 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

A few questions

Hello folks....i have spent the last couple days looking through the old posts and reading up and decided that this is a forum worth joining. Obviously there is alot of expierenced/smart car people here that can give me advice and maybe keep me from making a bunch of dumb mistakes. I got a 85 gmc short wide pickup from a buddy of mine a few weeks back. The motor in it is shot and he had a very mildly built motor he was building up and let me have it in our deal. He started with a 4 bolt main 350 block thats had the .030 over treatment, has a new cast(ugh) crank, off-brand cam and some iron heads that they cleaned up and put new springs on. Not sure yet what kind about the pistons except they are some kind of hypereuctic. Basically his idea of a "souped up" motor and my ideas of a souped motor are pretty different lol. However he did get a holley 750 classic carb and edelbrock victor jr intake. This truck isnt going to be a all out drag truck but will be one of my daily drivers and probably see the strip every once in awhile. I know everybody and there momma wants a 500 hp mid 11 second car, but i really want one and while i realize this is going to be pretty expensive i will take my time and buy stuff as i get the money. I just want to be happy in the long run and not have a substantial amount of money tied up into something i dont like. now for the questions how much money would it take to convert this 355 into a 383 and what would need to be machined to make this work? if i do decide to just stay with the 355 i know im getting some good quality aluminum heads for this engine.Out of these 2 options which would be better? I found this kit by TFS on summit http://store.summitracing.com/defaul....asp&x=31&y=10
are there heads and cams any good? or would i be better off buying some afr 195cc or even 210cc heads and buying a kit like this from comp cams
http://store.summitracing.com/defaul....asp&x=29&y=12
I know this would be a few hundred dollars more expensive because i would have to buy roller rockers and pushrods for the afr heads

assuming i use the afr heads and the comp .540/.562 hyrdaulic roller cam,hydraulic roller lifters,victor jr intake, holley 750 carb, 1.5 ratio roller rockers with hooker super comp headers, complete MSD ignition, electric fans,and fuel pump, 3500 stall converter, the stock turbo 400 tranny and posi track 12 bolt(not sure what gears it has..i do know that its aleast a 3.73 though) what kind of numbers do you think i might get out of a setup like this? also without knowing the specs on the pistons could you roughly guess what kind of compression this thing will be running on? I want a forged crank and forged pistons but is this going to be powerful enough that i really need them? also do you think the cast crank and said pistons would hold up to a 150 hp shot of nos? most important question what kind of problems and money does it take to turn a 355 into a 383? sorry for being long winded and thanks in advance for any helpful replies, Michael aka BigTex

Advertisement

Last edited by BigTex88; 01-30-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 06:45 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

All I`ll say is, if you want a daily driver, your going the wrong direction. You don`t need a forged crank, there is nothing wrong with a cast crank for daily street duty and some racing duty as well. We used to shoot 350 horses of nitrous on a cast crank, never had any issues. The combo you outlined is "streetable" to a degree, but not daily driver streetable, it would be more of a weekend play thing. If it was to be a daily driver I hope your rich, as the cost of fuel combined with how much it would use would not be cheap. I also don`t think you need a open plane victor jr. for a street machine. There`s a street machine or there`s a drag truck/weekend play thing, and there`s little inbetween.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:32 AM

I understand what your saying. I work out of state all week and only come in every other weekend or so. So i say daily driver but really i want a hotrod/toy more than anything else. Im glad this crank will be ok i can use the money i was going to spend on a forged crank and get a nos kit now. The intake came with this truck, I thought i had a good one. What is the drawbacks of the victor jr intake? Also anybody have any idea what kind of horsepower and torque this thing should make?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:15 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Double is correct.

What you are planning will cost you $ 1500 more to build than you think it will.

Since you are building a street driven race machine.... make that $ 3000 more.

If you think I am kidding,,,,, keep detailed records but don't add it up until it is all done to your satisfaction.

As for numbers, you ask..... that is like throwing darts at the dart board.

Last edited by xntrik; 01-31-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:43 AM

I had already guessed this was going to be a $6,000-$7,000 deal(just for the motor). Which is why im not in a hurry. However i recently sold a vehicle and will have a couple thousand there and plus another $1,000 plus when my income tax returns come back. I am going to buy the big things now (heads, cam kit, msd ignition) and just get the smaller less expensive items over the next couple of months. I have a dirt track buddy who is also a graduate of UTI tech that is going to put all this stuff together. I just need help deciding on the componets i need to get the power and speed i want. Again i know this is going to be pretty wild for the street and i know its going to cost alot and im fine with both of those. I just need help deciding what parts are best for this application and was wondering if anybody could guesstimate within 50+/- hp what kind of power the combination of parts i listed would make. Again thanks for the help
Old 01-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

plus or minus 50 ?

Realistic horses when installed in the vehicle with a full exhaust, cold air intake, air filter, in 75* air, running alternator, water pump, and fan clutch at a useable speed:

355 = 405 to 430 flywheel

383 = 430 to 450 flywheel

Maybe 80 % to the tires.... depending on several factors.

cast crank and forged pistons will do a 150 shot OK....

I won't even guess if you can hook up the tires..... so your time might vary.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:56 PM

man thats not much at all. How in the heck do all these magazine articles have 500 hp motors than run on pump gas and not even have all the goodies as mine? do you see any real weakness with the combo i got or ways to bump that up to the 500+ mark? anybody else have opinions on this? anybody have suggestions on a good forged piston in the $400-$500 range?
Old 02-01-2006, 09:59 AM

btt...come on folks
Old 02-02-2006, 09:11 AM

I thought about this and decided that a blower will be in the future for this motor. Probably be a few months down the road though. Anybody have suggestions for a forged piston that will give me low compression and a forged crank thats not $1,000?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:19 PM

A buddy of mine has a 10-71 roots style blower he no longer needs. All it needs is the nose drive assembly. Is this blower going to be too big for my motor?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.