a few tbi ?s - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

a few tbi ?s

OK looking at a cheep 90 model Chevy with a 350 and standard. it has no title. looking at the engine to put in my 4x4 as a temp while I'm spending money on the 400. was thinking of using the tbi. If i wire this stuff into my truck can i mod the tpi to run the 400? will be around 350 to 400hp. second ? is i have a 95 Chevy 1500 with a 350 and nv4500 and 411s the gas is killing me so was thinking of swapping the rear axle. so what would i have to do to fix the speedo can i get a programmer are do i have to get a new chip?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

I'm gonna rip my f-ng hair out.

A simple search for TBI turns up 8 PAGES of results. The short answer to the TBI question is no friggin way, not in a million years.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sear...archid=2084410
Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 PM

Last photo:

i read though the search and did not relay find a good answer especially to the speedo ?
Old 11-03-2008, 10:06 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

In the last month alone there have been at least a dozen folks asking how to get 300-400 hp out of a TBI. The in-depth answers that we all gave are too lengthy to type all over. Forgive my frustration, I'm just tired of people not using the search feature. Axle and speedo questions aren't my forte, they should be asked in the transmission/rearend forum.

Here are some specific threads from that search link for you to read because I'm NOT typing it all in again.

94 suburban 350 into a 64 impala

92 chevy 350 upgrade

modded 350 tbi power est.

Help!!!! I need 350 advice

And... a quote of some advice from one of those links:
Quote:
You can stick with TBI if you want, but you'll have to rethink everything. The TBI parts were well-matched for the 190 hp outputs they made. Trying to upgrade one or two parts won't cut it. You'll have a big mismatch.

Head flow is tiny, cams are tiny, compression is tiny, wet flow through the TB is about 390 cfm. You've already upped the compression with your domed pistons, so you're kinda backed into a corner there.

I might suggest older smogger heads with 76cc chambers. They'll flow much better than the 193s (not as well as Vortecs) and you can hog out the center holes on your TBI intake to fit the older heads. You'll have to burn a new chip for the computer with that cam, and you'll have to take the timing curve into consideration. Domes are much less detonation tolerant, but require a little more ignition lead since they slow down the flame front. Plan on premium pump gas at 9.5:1 with domes of that size.
-------------------------------------
Lets dispose of the heads first, the 193s are Swirl Ports, they're intended for excellent fuel atomization and swirl formation in a low RPM engine. They run out of breathing room pretty early, they are curving over by 3500 RPM and are done by 4500. Your truck has TBI injection. This is pretty sensitive to engine vacuum, the cam [you'll need] is getting on to the upper limit that can be used without having professional intervention at a systems level from some outfit like TPIS. It might, however, just slide by with a reprogrammed chip and a variable pressure relief that will give you some final tuning space. Custom chips run around 3-400 dollars, cheap performance chips will not do as they are intended to improve the stock TBI engine and you're a long way from that. What the cam is doing is changing all the fuel and timing map reference points in relation to the information being received from the sensors. The new chip programs the new relationship of reference data to the location on the fuel and timing maps that the computer goes to for schedules to be used at any moment.

The stock TBI is rated about 400 CFM, it will run out of flow before the cam runs out of rev ability.
Sorry to be such an *****, but this is all from the one link I posted above. Its really all there in the search feature. I'm not normally such a jerk, but not only did I post the link for you, I read through it and copied all the info. Its all there, its been answered a bazillion times very recently... in fact three of those links are still on the first page of the forum.

I'm really not mad at you, you're just getting the culmination of a month of this exact thing happening over and over. You have every right to ask questions, I'm just getting really tired of this particular question

Last edited by curtis73; 11-03-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Hand cleaner Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

on your 95, i believe you have a Digital Ration Adapter Controller, or as its more commonly called a DRAC.
most of them can be reprogramed pretty easily.
here is some info for reprograming a DRAC

http://614streets.com/drac.html
http://www.philter.com/cgi-bin/drac.pl
http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=25875

there are 2 possible places it may be at.
pull the glove box out & sitting in the seat, look just to the lower left of the glove box opening.
the other place is near the PCM, or possibly mounted to the PCM.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Hunter
on your 95, i believe you have a Digital Ration Adapter Controller, or as its more commonly called a DRAC.
most of them can be reprogramed pretty easily.
here is some info for reprograming a DRAC

http://614streets.com/drac.html
http://www.philter.com/cgi-bin/drac.pl
http://forums.s-series.org/viewtopic.php?t=25875

there are 2 possible places it may be at.
pull the glove box out & sitting in the seat, look just to the lower left of the glove box opening.
the other place is near the PCM, or possibly mounted to the PCM.

thanks a lot that is the real info i needed i could not find in the search. the hp thing was all over the board of if you could are could not. that part is easy to over come. already have the intake and carb for the 400 so no biggy not using the tbi but not really an feasible option on the 95.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:12 AM

Last photo:

just thought of anther ? relatedt to the speedo. does the 90 model come with the same board as the 95? if so i should just be able to use its board right?
Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nskeeter99
just thought of anther ? relatedt to the speedo. does the 90 model come with the same board as the 95? if so i should just be able to use its board right?
Yes for like engine and transmission combos.

Bogie
Old 11-04-2008, 07:46 PM

Last wiki edit: Hand cleaner Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

im not sure what you mean by the same board as the 95.
in 1990 the speed buffer or DRAC was part of the instrument cluster.
they changed to an external DRAC in late 91 or with the 92 model year.
the 90 pickup has a ECM, it only controls the engine & the lockup on the torque converter.
the 95 has a PCM, it controls the engine and has full control of the transmission including shifts.

400+ HP is possible with TBI, but it does take some work to get there and isn't exactly cheap either.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

thanks alot guys gess teh tbi will go on teh self and use for spare parts for the 95 and just stay with my edelbrok qjet for now. if i got fi and have to spend a good bit of moeny miles well go with the tpi system but that will be down the road a part at a time you know we never finshe these prjects.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.