Hot Rod Forum banner

fiberglass on body panels & aluminum sheetmetal replacement

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  woodz428 
#1 ·
ok, 1st i have fiberglass/ FG body filler laid over a bit of exposed metal, about 1sqcm. will this protect it as well as just primer and paint against corrosion? it's on the passenger quarter panel, i was shaving the antenna and sanded a bit too deep when prepping the area.
2nd is it possible to cut out the floor and trunk sheet metal and safely replace it with aluminum diamond plate?

thanks for any help in advance

#2 ·
2nd is it possible to cut out the floor and trunk sheet metal and safely replace it with aluminum diamond plate?<hr></blockquote>

You didn't say what type of car it is, most modern cars have "crumple zones" to make up for the lack of steel. By cutting the floor you may run the risk of changing the crumple factor for the car. I'm sure the diamond plate would be stronger than the trunk floor (depending on thickness) but I'm no physics expert. You might have to add some square alluminum bracing to prevent it from rattling.

Regards
Mark

#3 ·
Jag is right about the crumple zones in the modern cars. The basic rule is that you don't want to strengthen the area forward of the windshield or rear of the back glass. The passenger compartment is designed as a capsule. That means that it is basically designed to not crumple. You can strenghten it, just don't weaken it. That is your protection when someone does something stupid, like run into you.

#4 ·
ya, it's '99 chevy midsized. it has a narrow, vertical brace that runs the length of the passenger compartment on either side of the body and a 6" wide 3" tall brace that runs across the car below the front seats. could i reinforce the braces and remove the floor pannel without sacrificing structural integrity?

#5 ·
Question is why? Looks? Then apply it over the old sheet metal, lightening up the car will mess with the structual integrity of the passenger capsule. I personally wouldn't do it. You may stiffen up the trunk area and cause the force in an impact to be transfered into the passenger compartment or worse.

Regards
Mark

#7 ·
ok, thanks you two. it was for weight redux, i saw it in a rally lancer evo6 and thought "hey that looks like a good idea!" i guess not, eh?

#8 ·
That car in no way resembles a stock one. They've got belly skins and a whole host of saftey features that you would spend more than you paid for the car to get installed properly. Rally Cars are built for one purpose and one only. You have to compete with everything on the road. Remember since you don't have the luxury of crash testing each mod you do to a car the first mistake could be your last. Be safe

Regards
Mark

#9 ·
Nobody has mentioned it but cutting out the steel and replacing it with aluminum of any kind has 2 major drawbacks. First is, you can't attach it in any way other than a bonding process or riveting, both would take away structural integrity and 2)Steel and aluminum create a dissimilar metal electolysis process that will cause both to decompose over time and also affect structural integrity.

#10 ·
hi, thought i'd post again here 'cause it kinda has to do with the very first question.
i was sanding down the area around my antenna hole and exposed some steel. now it's going to be a while before i get her repainted, should i go ahead and spray some of the filler-primer-in-a-can or should i just wait? i thought i heard aerosol primers don't protect that well. i'm a total n00b when it comes to bodywork, so bear with my idiot question.

also, if anyone knows a place to get painting done around detroit that's quality and decently inexpensive, i was going to get a repaint at cost, but that fell through.

#12 ·
First off, no primer seals that well, aerosol or gun. They are porous and absorb moisture, I would find a can of regular touch up paint that is a good match and shoot it to protect it and don't worry about the primer. A can of rustoleum or similar will work fine if you can't find a body touch up that matches.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.