Hot Rod Forum banner

Fiberglass Body Parts & Cold Weather

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  T7SuperBee 
#1 ·
Hey Guys! :welcome:

New member here, so here is my first question! :)

I am building/restoring a 1969 Super Bee, and I just picked up a bolt on Six Pack hood for the car. :D Ive not painted it yet, but Ive mounted it on the car to see how it looks.

Anyway, my question is, how does cold weather affect aftermarket fiberglass? The car is in my garage all winter, but it gets really cold in there at times... Im talking -30C at the lowest.

I know that they use fiberglass on new cars, and some cars like 'Vettes are made from it, so I figure Im pretty safe, but I'm curious anyway! :)

Thanks!

#3 ·
Cool,Another 'Bee on the board. I'm doing my T3 currently.

As for the glass hood,You gonna do it flat black or paint it body color?

Reason is, I am on my 2nd ram air glass hood on my Ram as the first one (97) started showing "spots" or raised circles at various places and I talked with the dealership P&B mgr. who's opinion was that the hood wasn't blocked right and they contacted the upfitter co. who did the hood and they sent a replacement. This was in 99. I've recently noticed similar "spotting" although not as noticeable returning. I know the "6-Pack" hood is a little different animal as it's basically a shell,but would be concerned especially if your duplicating the body color, with doing a primo prep job on it first.
Hopefully one of the pro's here can enlighten us.
My Ramcharger hood has been bent up,as in hood flew up possibly?, and I'm going to get some pic's up later as to repairs and if it's not really possible to get it straight am considering the glass one as well.Mike.

#4 ·
Hey Guys!

Wow, with the server upgrades, it looks like I picked the wrong time to ask a question! :spank:

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys!

Im going to be painting the hood flat black with DP90. :D I think that the black should go quite well with the dark bronze colour of the body.

Its an AAR Fiberglass hood, so its supposed to be the best that you can get, so hopefully there will be no issues with those spots you mentioned! :)

Thanks again guys!
Paul Cassar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.