Fiberglass body on steel pan? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2014, 10:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fiberglass body on steel pan?

So, only my second post here, but I got so many great answers on my first one I'm hoping you guys will come through for me again. I'm going to be making my own fiberglass body, then bolting it to a steel frame. Any advice on reinforcement? So far my plan is to glass some 90 degree steel plate into the body, and drill corresponding holes in them to align with the holes in the frame. Good idea, horrible, room for improvement? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 10:11 PM

Last photo:

It will work with some common sense placement of the mount plates and keep them rough finished with many holes for resin penetration.. Like a pasta strainer.. buried in matt and resin.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
It will work with some common sense placement of the mount plates and keep them rough finished with many holes for resin penetration.. Like a pasta strainer.. buried in matt and resin.
So, the vertical part of the steel plate (sandwiched in the layers of glass) should look somewhat like a cheese grater? Should I consider some way to anchor it inside the glass, like maybe a piece welded on top of the vertical part, perpendicular to it? (I know, weird. Think like a steel T inside the body, with holes in it for resin.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:50 AM

Last photo:

A "T" or "L" shape would be good. The trick is to keep the resin over and thru the holes in the plate. A flat plain plate will eventually break loose from dis-simular expansion rates. The holes keep the bond..

I did some glass work back in the sixties and an old GM guy showed me the difference on bonding steel mounts.. That body is still sround. Tho mounted on a different chassis than when originally done..

Got back into the glass work lately with the front end and doors for my Studebaker gasser. " itchy" stuff..
Old 07-12-2014, 10:23 AM

When I did my car, I had just the outer skin. I built a square tube frame all around inside. Built the floor using 3/4 plywood. Body mount areas were also in steel and was attached (welded) to the frame inside. The complete steel frame was glassed into the body along with the floor. Pay attention to the weak spots, such as the pillars. In my A pillars, I used 1/4 inch steel.
Old 07-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Back in the day when I worked at the glass plant we built some bodies.. What we did was to reinforce the firewall and build an aft bulkhead and floors out of plywood and encapsulated that with glass.. incidental reinforcing was done with pvc pipe hot glued to the interior and covered with glass to make a reinforcing ridge.. the bodies were attached by means of through bolts through the floor and the mounting bracket on the chassis.. The bodies were quite strong and rigid as I recall and since we built the boats the same way I expect some of those bodies to be still around..

Sam

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.