Fiberglass bonding - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2005, 09:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fiberglass bonding

New Member, First Question.

I trying to bond to fiberglass door shells together. I'm currently using Evercoat Panel Adhesive.

First, when I put the doors together, I didn't see a gap. So I had to take the doors apart. They came apart way to easy. I figure that after a few hunder door closings they would had falled apart. I noticed that the panels didn't touch alot either. I'll have pictures later this afternoon of the doors on my web site. www.ltw.net

Should I use a epoxy? If so who's? Should I take the doors to a fiberglass shop and let them do it?

TexasDan

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
Well, first be sure you are working with SMC or Fiberglass, they would require different bonding adhesive.

Did you grind the surface to be bonded with 24 grit? It is also very important that you don't squish out all adhesive from between the panels. You need something in the neighborhood of a 1/16" or so left between the panels. I can't imagine two pieces of fiberglass not bonding together with Evercoat "vette panel adhesive". I have used it for years with great success.

Last edited by MARTINSR; 03-05-2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:59 AM

Fiberglass bonding

Yes it is SMC. http://www.ltw.net/Buildup5.html Everything was sanded with 36 grit by hand. I did not use any material between the panels. I also clamped them down. This is want the body shop told me to do. I didn't have very good coverage between the panels once I got them apart and could see.

I visited a Fiberglass boat repair shop this morning. They recommend that I use a epoxy and place a 1.5 inch strip of mat between the panels, then clamp. I'm going to try this today.

Last edited by TexasDan; 03-05-2005 at 12:00 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
Let me get this straight, some one told you to put the panels together with nothing between them and to then do what? Did you spread the adhesive on the outside of the clamped panels? That makes no sense, but it sounds like it is what they told you to do.

36 by hand is not very effective. Of course it could be if you sanded enough, by hand or with a tool speed is mostly the difference. However, I'll bet you a dollar you will stop hand sanding before it is done. If you do sand it by hand, be sure to REALLY sand it well.

If you were using "Vette panel adhesive" 870 or 880 it is no wonder it didn't work. If it was 994 "SMC panel adhesive" it is because it was used improperly, don't blame the product.

Don't just go and use any epoxy, all are not created equal. Before you go out and buy some be sure to talk to that boat shop or wait until some others reply to your thread here. There are a number of very knowledgable guys on here. Just don't listen to that body shop, geeez.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:44 PM

Fiberglass bonding

Yep, I sanded the two panels by hand, your right I'll be using a sander from now own. I mixed .25 of the can (quart) with about 4 inches of hardener. It seemed to get hard in about 15 minutes. I spread the mix out as you can see from the web site photos. I then placed the inside panel on, moved it around a little, then clamped it down. I then let it sit over night for about 18 hours before I noticed the gap. This would have been my fault, I should have checked it better when I clamped it. I thought I did.

I used a epoxy for the window channels and it worked great.

Right now I'm grinding the mess off with 36 grit. I'll do both halfs again to rough it up. I have some fiberglass mat and a fiberglass resin epoxy.

The Evercoat that I'm using is SMC Panel Adhesive 994.

Could I have put to much hardener in the mix?
Old 03-05-2005, 04:04 PM

I am going to guess what happend is squeeze out, when gluing wood projects if you clamp to hard you will squeeze all the glue out. By not putting any matting you squeezed all the resin out, with the mat you will leave room for the resin and even with a tight clamping force you should still have some resin lbetween the parts and that is what is going to do the bonding.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.