Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass & bondo for skim coating?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
Brian:

That was a great post! LOL I'll add this: There are 2 different resins for doing glass work "Finnish resin and laminating resin"

Laminating resin (Evercoat # 100560, 100561) is used for initial coats on wood & metals or for multiple applications with fiberglass cloth or mat. This resin is air-inhibited which means it will cure to a tacky finish and does not require sanding between coats. This is desirable in laminating because the layers adhere to each other better. This product should not be used as a final coat unless measures are taken to seal out the air during the curing process. It is also excellent for overhead and vertical repairs, Because its sticky and will hold the next layer of cloth in place!!!

Most parts stores only sell Finnish coat resins, and lamination is not as good!!! Its called Finnish coat because that's exactly what it is, a Finnish coat to go over the laminated layers!

I've seen so many people using resins that have never heard of laminating resin!!!!!! and then complain because their repairs don't last!!!!

I like that "Bestest" Brian LOL!!

Jester

That is a very good point, I was brought up calling it "A" coat and "B" coat. From what I remember the "B" coat has wax in it that rises to the top.

Brian