Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass & bondo for skim coating?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
I see we agree LOL

I never stated you could bond fiberglass to metal with resins in any of my posts! I was only trying to make clear the different resins and materials! for young readers I do bond glass or carbon fiber to metal but its a different process then just brushing on resin and sticking them on! and like Brian I have stiffened up or made complete floors out of fiberglass or Kevlar and have filled small holes in floors after epoxying and then laying out cloth and resin! and never had a lamination let loose Except when I was young and learning!!

I like Evercoat Ive tried others but keep coming back to Evercoat!
Large overhead areas are hard by myself and messy I use rolled material (like a paper towel roll) and when the resin is tacky enough to hold the weight I roll out the material a few inches at a time and with a roller I press it down and smooth out the wrinkles The corners are the hardest I usually have to re wet them! For very large areas I use helpers! I also buy thinner mat so its not as heavy! The vertical large areas are easy with the right laminating resin! The trick is in the mix, and when you apply the mat! every day its different so I mix test pots to see what mix works best mix too hot its not as tacky! ETC

Jester
See... We can agree..LOL

Doing over head with fiber glass isn't fun... Believe me... And IF you put to many layers at one time,, It will end up on top of your head or lap..LOL..

People can make it stick to metal.. BUT... Like I said,, On a fool.. I'm 240 and if you step on that floor just right... It will pop off the metal... Plus for some reason.. I have seen where people covered rust holes and it rust even more... Maybe the resin does something to the metal...Don't know...

I played with glass a little.. Building this car with no mold...Here's some fenders I hand made as well..made a buck,then made a mold.then made the fenders,,,More on that in my journal..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_22631.jpg
Views:	2264
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	71289   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0460.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	71290   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0461.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	71291   Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0660.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	71292   Click image for larger version

Name:	12081378911.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	71293  

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 02-12-2013 at 08:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to NEW INTERIORS For This Useful Post:
69 widetrack (02-12-2013)