Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass & bondo for skim coating?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: Take a kid to a car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Newinteriors:
I saw your journal when I first Joined Great work! I build wood molds, Plaster molds, Chicken wire cardboard and duct tape molds, Etc LOL Even take new fenders release agent lay glass on em with wood bracing pull it of and use that as a mold Carved Styrofoam and layed the glass to form custom items!

Before doing floors all holes are opened up and cleaned of rust big rust holes are patched with metal and welded, sanded to bear metal bellow and above, duct tape (the resin doesn't stick to the tape) the bottom of the floor so no resin drips or runs out, I epoxy the floor scuff and lay glass before the epoxy is no longer chemically active! I found out the resin bonds better with the epoxy or epoxy sealer while the sealer is still chemically active but dry to the touch! If the epoxy is hard the resin doesn't bond as well even if you sand it!! If it says to paint the epoxy within 72 hrs then lay the glass in the same time frame LOL! You can hit the floor with a 10# sledge and it wont damage the bond. This type of repair is quick and Ive done it for some customers because fabing the floor or cutting out all the bad metal and welding in new was cost restrictive! I did a metropolitan about 12 years ago and its just like it was when it left my shop to this day But it sees no bad weather and the metal can rust away and the glass floor will still be there! You cant just lay glass on the floor and expect a good bond

I don't know how well rust killer coatings work to stop rust I've never tried those products or have I seen any one epoxy over them!

Glassing a floor, Not the best way but another way LOL

Jester
The Following User Says Thank You to painted jester For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (02-12-2013)