Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass & bondo for skim coating?
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 09:26 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5StudeGuy View Post
OK.. I'm reading this thread and you folks are getting me worried...
I applied fiberglass to the roof of my truck. I was told it was fine..
SO let me detail what I did and give me your thoughts.

I stretched the cab of the truck and it wasn't quite level,.. so we added fiberglass to fill the low spot. We did this:
Sanded the metal with 40 grit paper.
Put on epoxy primer.. sanded again with 80 grit.
Then we put on a layer of resin, a layer of fiberglass mat, resin, mat and then resin (all at once). Stuff is hard as a rock.
Then we put fiberglass out of a can on top of that to help with the small low spots (some on top of the fiberglass/resin mix, and some on bare metal), and finally bondo to make final adjustment to make it perfectly smooth.
We sanded with 40 grit between each application.

SO please tell me I'm not going to have any problems...
You seem to have done it the best way possible for using fiberglass,mainly having a solid metal base.But as stated before the 2 materials expand and contract at different rates which will try to make them work loose.The other problem is on the roof where it gets the hottest in the summer sun.If you didn't mix the resin too hot to make it build up too much heat while hardening or going off as we say it you will probably not have any trouble for a long time.Again I don't reccomend what you did,but you did it the best way for using glass on metal.Keep it out of the hot sun as much as possible and it will last the longest.As was said before,Prep is every thing.