Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass & bondo for skim coating?
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 12:37 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

People can make it stick to metal.. BUT... Like I said,, On a fool.. I'm 240 and if you step on that floor just right... It will pop off the metal... Plus for some reason.. I have seen where people covered rust holes and it rust even more... Maybe the resin does something to the metal...Don't know...

"I played with glass a little.. Building this car with no mold...Here's some fenders I hand made as well..made a buck,then made a mold.then made the fenders,,,More on that in my journal.."END QUOTE

Fabulous work Randy...pure talent, and proper use of fiberglass in the true definition of use of fiberglass. That has to be some of the best work I think I've seen. For anyone following this thread take note, this is what and how fiberglass should be used.

And M5StudeGuy, I would very much like to say that you don't have anything to worry about but as New Interiors said...I wouldn't have done it like that either, it's not the proper repair or use of the product. You may be fortunate and not have a problem for quite some time (and I sincerely hope that is the case). A lot depends on how thick and (as mentioned) how much resin you used...is it a daily driver? Where you live and temperature changes will effect the life of the repair as well. If you live in a climate where you have drastic changes in temperature the expansion and contraction differences between the metal and the fiberglass will eventually cause the fiberglass to let go. The fact that you put a coat of Epoxy primer on prior to the fiberglass will help, it'll act like a cushion for the inevitable differences in expansion and contraction. This, although different, is similar to cars that came from the factory with lacquer paint...in cold then warm climates, the lacquer paint was prone to cracking more readily than in a more stable climate.

I do have a question, where did you hear that this was a proper way of repairing your roof? The reason I ask is because I'm very cautious when I give advice on this forum for reasons just like this.

I wish you only the best.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
NEW INTERIORS (02-13-2013)