FiberGlass Cowl Hood - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2003, 08:03 PM
Luv the smell of burnt RICE

Wiki Edits: 0

FiberGlass Cowl Hood

on the weekend i baught a cowl induction hood for my 1979 chevy 3/4 tone 4x4 pick up.. hood looks good.. but the same day i baught a 6" K&N and a 2 inch spacer to bring the air filter right inside the cowl so it gets the most air possible.. but when i put the filter on and lined up with the spacer.. i slowly closed the hood and *****.. theres a cross member on the hood.. that goes right under the cowl!! so a 1/4 of the filter hits that cross piece before it gets close from being closed.. wuts up with that?? this is suppose to be a performance hood.. as it says on the decal from tokenfiderglass.com but its a joke.. can't even fit a decent filter under there.. more show then go! this is very dissapointing as i paid top doller for this garbage.. so wut can i do? i went to the local shop and they can get a offset bottom peice for the filter.. but theres no way of that being enough.. i'd say it needs to be a total 5" forward.. or even if i cut the hood?? would that weakin it alot?? if they were smart when making the hood they would of put that cross over before the filter.. or actually molded it up and around the inside of the cowl.. i already tried e mailing them.. but all there site has is some thing where u fill out your name and # and they call me.. so far no word.. i guess they got so mnay complaints that they don't put there e mail up??? any suggestions?? the place is about hour away from my place where they make them.. but i work 6 days a week so i woudn't have time to get there before they close. thanx guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2003, 08:44 PM
OddJob

Last photo:

Couldn't you buy a smaller spacer or a smaller filter?
Maybe you can cut the spacer down to just the right hight.
Don't you want a little room to account for engine shake and role?
Old 10-20-2003, 09:02 PM

well right now i still got my 4" on.. that fit under the stock hood.. but i wana bring it up in the cowl at least a inch.. so its gettin some fresh air.. so i can try to gain a little power from the hood
Old 10-20-2003, 09:21 PM
OddJob

Last photo:

How about forming a pan(or what ever its called) like a shaker hood has. Basicly an aircleaner bottom that comes all the way up to the hood and uses weather strip to seal itself to the hood when it's down.
That way you don't have to bring the aircleaner all the way up into the hood and you'll get all the air into the intake. You could even mold it around the hood support/brace.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:58 PM

I think thats my only option right now.. might be alota work tho.. i'll see wut i can do..
Old 10-23-2003, 11:48 AM

hood fit

you say 4" filter fits. obviosly they did too. did you spec one for 5"at purchase point. you want a custom application you need to do it yourself, or order it made to your specs. cut hole to fit with allowance for motor movement. either cut out & move(not)or make new cross support. i normally apply 3 coats of glass crossing strands of glass cloth 90' each layer, it is stronger that way. you can make a cardboard inner frame out of a couple 12 paks. you can leave you will completely cover. only need to hold shape till 1st coat hardens. cut cloth to fit have all 3 layers ready & handy as it is messy- used throw away gloves & long sleeves, glass bothers alot of people not all. soak 1st pce. lay it on squegee out air bubbles to edges. follow 2&3rd layer same way. now you got custom fit to your satisfaction & a stronger hood than yu bought. jwart

Last edited by jwart; 10-23-2003 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:44 PM

Well i guess that would work great.. but that would take me a while to do.. concidering i would have to take the whole hood off again.. then realign it with my hood pins when putting it back on and so on... wut i had in mind is since i have cheap/free acess to metal and wood.... i was thinkin cut the ***** outa that cross beam so my filter fits up there with room to move around of course.. and also theres not way its gona hit the hood from side to side or the bottom of the hood.. trust me theres lots of room in my full size truck! haha anyways wut i was thinkin is get some metal screws and and a long piece of sheet metal of some short or even a peice of 1X8 long enough to go across the whole under side of the hood.. then screw it in to where the hoo is renforced so it'll screw right into hood without going thro the top? and also at the same time i would use some fider glass bondo.. that way theres a little room for the hood to flex.. and also it has the support to make up for where i cut it up? not sure if i would be better off with wood? or sheet metal? then from there i could design a way to direct all incoming air to the filter... ?? just a crazy idea i was thinkin might work? and this can all be done with the hood on.. thanx again for replys
Old 10-23-2003, 10:24 PM
OddJob

Last photo:

Instead of screwing the thing in or even using wood.
How about a peice of 1x1 steal tubing. Bend it by hand and vice to match the curve of the hood. Then glue it in with some of that really good epoxy. Afterward you cut out the old crossmember. That way the hood doesn't accidentaly flex or twist before you finish. you could always fiberglass the tube in after to increase stiffness and the finished look.

Have you thought about the airfilter if it rains? They don't like to hold together well if they get wet.(the paper ones) Motors also don't like to suck in water either.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.