fiberglass door panels, dash, center console, sub enclosure, amp rack - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2006, 07:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

You can use some of the same methods as these guys are kind enough to illustrate.here
For something like those overkill "speaker door panels, you would lay out your fittfitted panel and probably make a big opening in it to access the backside of your work. Your speakers would need rings so fix them in place where you want them and stretch the fabric over the rings. Fasten the fabric down to achieve the shapes you want. For strength you can build up the backside as much as you like. Pictures are worth more, look here , some very amateur work but combine what they are doing with the workmanship of the bicycle guys and you should be starting to get some ideas. If you plan to do door panels, remember to set them both up at the same time and do them together through each step so you can make make them as identical as possible. Very tough to completely make one and then turn around and try to make a mirror image of it starting from scratch.
I like this kind of stuff. Simple ways to make one-off parts without all that borking around with originals, molds, and stuff. Notice how nice a final finish the spandex gives versus "fleece". Though for some reason the fleece guys never quite seem to get around to completely finishing their work. You also note where they state they aren't using fiberglass at all but rather an epoxy resin mix.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2006, 07:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

dodgeking 01

im good at body work and all but i was wondering how the best way to fiberglass a sub box and amp rack in to a single cab dodge ram or where the best place would be in that matter
Old 02-22-2006, 02:56 PM

Im thinking about doing the same thing with my g/f's car, i want to build her a custom fiberglass box, but ive been reading and reading and i think i got the jist of that..however, i haven't found much info about how to secure things to your dash say if i were to make a fiberglass guage pod and wanted to put it right in the middle of the dash...do you just use some sort of 3m adhesive after you make it or do you screw it to the dash or what? also i was curious as to what types of materials you use to make a mold to fit the contours of your car..for instance if i wanted to install some device like a gauge or tweeter or maybe even something bigger like a monitor into a corner of the window like where the windshield, dash, and roof support all meet, how would you make a mold for that...i understand for areas that don't have a crease or crevasse that you can build something using MDF, but what do you do to go about making sure my end product fits into the contours of the crack so that it looks nice..should i just free form it, or can i make something out of clay and line it w/ foil or what? sorry its really wordy and theres really only 2 questions in this message, but these are 2 questions that i can't find answers to...also do you have any pics of your camry b/c i used to have a 93 and im interested in how you transformed it
Old 02-23-2006, 12:17 AM

Last photo:

hi my dear friend,
I maybe can answer you... but one problem my English is bad?!

listen to me I am an professional fibre glass boats builder.
1. before you create the fibre glass mold, you must Crete your model...
a. like boat, b car, c box, d bike etc..
2. the model can be made of wood, clay, foam or gypsum
3. the foam can be easy shaping it but i did not try it??
4. I am making boats using wood, plywood and gypsum for easy shaping
but i mix the gypsum + water + fibre glass mat then I apply it on the
place that i want.. and while it is wet... it will be so easy to shape it??
remember this.....
5. then i use hi voltage 1000 Watt light to heat the gypsum to let it dry...
6. then i start sanding it with ruff sand paper why.... because I am going
to apply wall white filler on it then leave it to dry...
7. sand it with soft paper starting with 22o grit then 400 then 1000..
8. then apply 2k primer 2 to 3 coat's leave it to dry then sand it.. and
check the boat carefully if it need more filling or sanding????
9 apply epoxy paint or marine paint with hardener and reducer...
otherwise your paint will get burn.. because of the chemical reaction
(from the fibre glass material)
10. then you you can sand it with 2000 grit and polish it if you want good
finishing and also easy to release the mold...
11...its the time apply the mold re lase wax...you can yous American meguare's
12. wait for sometime then wipe it with cotton cloth then apply another coat
of wax then wipe it.. applying and wiping will leave a very thin film of
wax that you are unable to see it plus it will make the surface of your
paint more shiny..
13. its time to apply the gel-coat with brush.. use black gel-coat for mold??
14. give proper time for the gel-coat to dry like 3 hours then use tissure
fibre on top of gel-coat.. and then 300 or 450.. fibre Glass Matt and resin
15. don't forget to have special fibre glass roller to take the buble's out
16. apply 4 to 5 layer of fibler glass mat leave it to dry 24 hours
17. next day you can release the mold but I RECOMMEND YOU to do not use
steel screw drive and hummer to release the mold.. but you can use
wood wedges..try to remove it slowly from the edge firs from all direction
then it will come easy.. but don't forget to use a glove.. okey.. as the
fibre glass will be like stingray when it dried??
18. here you go .. your mold is ready... wax it again wipe the wax apply any
color of gel-coat u want wait for some time apply the f.g. material
then release it next day...
19. at the end remember any mistake at your model it will transfer to your
mold !!??

I hope what all the information mentioned above will be helpful for you and feel very sorry to be the first one who answer your question as there might be more people at USA who got more experiance than me..

thanks you

ga from the middle east
Old 02-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

Depends on the kind of dash you are working with... I know that you can glass something to a metal dashboard much the same way as any other bit of bodywork (kind of like firberglassing a hood scoop onto a hood using a fiberglass mat and resin). The same thing can be done with plastic dashbaords like the mid 70's and newer GM's as long as the surface you are mounting to is scuffed up first. I doubt that you could do that to a vinyl covered dash though.

Here's a thought, you could also use screws hidden on the inside of the enclosure to secure it to a dashboard and hide the edges with another line from another feature on the dash.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:11 PM

maybee I can help

Hello everyone,

I am new to this message board. I may be able to help some people in the are of fiberglass work. My back ground in custom cars includes building several custom cars as well as building exotic replica cars such as AC Cobras and Lamborghinis for a company called Lone Star Classics. The bodys on the kit cars are all fiberglass so i have had to do a ton of fiberglass body work. I also have experience as an aviation maintenance tech. I have done quite a bit of composite fab for aircraft use using carbon fiber, kevlar,fiberglass, and even Quartz fiber. If I can help you please dont hesitate to ask.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Bean Counter

Last journal entry: Paint time
Last photo:

Here's a link to another forum that is about fiberglass stereo stuff along with dashes and door panels and other how to stuff. http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...ics.asp?FID=16
If you search there are some links in some of the posts on there that have very detailed "how to" information about making a sub enclosure and other stuff. I hope this helps.

Jason
77 f100
Old 05-19-2006, 07:54 AM

Hey Fellas
Been gone for a while, but I'm back. I've just started to work restoring my old 94 Aerostar, Yes Aerostar. It's in good shape, but needs the rockers and the AC done. The old girl has 110K, so for 2-4000$ it's better than 40000+$ for a new one.
But I have a ?, the front door panels have split across where the door handle is. It seems Ford forgot to put in 2 door pins. How could I fix the cracked plastic? I can recover them for 40$ each compared to 100+$ for used and 500$ for new.
I would really like to make some custom ones, but they are not just flat ones. Any ideas?
Thanks
Old 07-07-2006, 08:15 PM

Last photo:

How to head liner

Anyone have a good idea for making a head liner fo a 1941 foor door Chevrolet? I had the idea to make it on top of the car over clear plastic sheet out of resen and kitty hair. Is there anyone out there that has done this ? Please fill me in
Thanks
Old 07-12-2006, 08:45 PM

top of the car wouldn't work as the car has roof braces/supports running down the roof, your best bet do an online search of your local area to see if you find someone who redoes headliners
Old 08-01-2006, 07:53 PM

new to the sight,some great info so far.
ive just been given my moms 1998 vw passat.ive now got the outside looking perfect but the interior needs alot of work.the door panels are covered in a fleece like material so could i just cover them in resin and use bondo to smoothe them over because i like the rough shape of the panels.
as for the dash,its made of plastic so could i bondo it?
im not planning anything too drastic for the interior but want it smooth
thanks,Eoghan
Old 08-02-2006, 08:32 PM

if you want the dash smooth, just take it out and sand it, bondo won't stick to plastic too well, especially if its ever had armour-all on it, same goes for every interior panel, nothing sticks to that silicone based body shop wrecking liquid
Old 08-05-2006, 08:21 AM

thanks,hopefully ill have the dash out by tonight
Old 08-30-2006, 12:10 AM
urGTO=LEGEND myTEMPEST=CLASSIC

Hey im no expert but from what ive done and seen some amazing things done for your box if you want to make a custom box, if your a beginner then make a box some what realtive to the style you want square wedge circle or what ever. Well lets say your sub is a 10 well make the hole like 14inch or so and make a lip on it or make the out side edge higher. Take some fiber glass strech it or just let it hang or how ever you want to make the design then put some resign let dry spray with the color of your car then PRESTO you have a custom box just the stlye and design of your own mind. Also depending on the size weight and position the box and same with sub you might want to slap a few more sheets of fiber on there so it will be able to support the weight of the sub, or make some support beams inside the box for the sub, but thats unnessary holes in it but you could just fill it in then sand. This can be applied for the amp also, you can even make it so the amp is like hanging over the sub parrellel or diagonle (not sure how to spell that one) to the sub. Also i would suggest if you dont want to fiber glass every thing for sound slap the car with some dynomat extreme, it's a sound deadener, makes the base sound REAL GOOD.
Old 09-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Luv dem straight pipes

glassin' for the masses

Im a FNG to the site, but I wanted to say thanx to the people putting up the info on glassing consoles and enclosures. I'm starting a custom interior in my 87' c10 shortbed. She looks pretty ruff from years of abuse, but she's got a good heart. I'm going to try and post pics of it as it progress' and would like to see some pics of others projects. Misery loves company!!!!

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.