Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Interior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/interior/)
-   -   fiberglass door panels, dash, center console, sub enclosure, amp rack (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/fiberglass-door-panels-dash-center-console-sub-enclosure-amp-rack-47669.html)

liftedbowtie 09-13-2004 07:11 PM

fiberglass door panels, dash, center console, sub enclosure, amp rack

Was wondering the best way to make fiberglass door panels, dash, center console, sub enclosure, amp rack. Foam and fiberglass mat? wood? PVC Sheets? Or should I use polyester fabric? on door panels I would like to keep stock door handle and stock clips. Would also like to use stock mounting for dash and use stock a/c vents would like to put screen in pass. side. Would like to put scrreen and sub in center console and form that to the floor. The box I want to put under the back seat, plan on lifting seat a little bit, but want to form to the floor. Also would like to form amp rack behind rear seat to the back of the cab. Vehicle is a 1996 chevy k1500 ext cab, I am new to fiberglass but good a bodywork any help would be greatly appreciated.

traviss10_999 09-23-2004 05:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
HEY HOW IT GOING I ON A CUSTOM SHOP AND I DO ALOT OF FIBERGLASS DASHES DOOR PANNEL AND ALOT SPEAKER BOX JUST GOT THROUGH WITH 96 FORD RANGER AND PUT 96 MUSTANG DOOR PANNELS AND DASH IN FIBERGLASS EVER THANG IN CONSOLE WIT DONE A SKULL RIPPING OUT OF IT WAS REALLY ALL SWEET BUT DONT HAVE ANYPIC RIGHT NOW BUT SOON I WILL HAVE MY WEB SITE UP NAME MY SHOP PHAT BOY FABERCATIONS THE BEST WAY TOO FIBER GLASS IS TAKE YA PANNELS OFF AND GO TOO YOUR LOCAL WALMART AND GET STUFF CALLED FLEACE IT 3.55 YARD AND GET SOME 3M GLUE ITTOO THE PANNEL JUST LIKE U WAS TWEEDING A PANNEL MAKE SURE THAT IT STUCK EVERY REAL GOOD THE LET THE GLUE DRY FOR 2OR 3 HOURS THEN PICK UP SOME FIBER GLASS REASIN AT YOUR LOCAL BODY SHOP STORES OR WHAT EVER U HAVE DONT BUY THAT AT WALMART U WILL GO BROKE BUY FROM THERE ANY MORE Q HOLLA BACK AT ME I HAVE PIC SOME OF MY OLD WORK CHECK IT OUT

m1e9r5c6 09-23-2004 10:49 AM

I AGREE...

... And it is not polite to post in all CAPS. It's hard to read and is like you're YELLING!

On the subject at hand. There was good info there. I'm no expert and all I know is from seeing other people do it but, using fleace as a base to rough shape your panel, and then wet it down with resin. Once that has dried, the final shape can be smoothed using "kitty hair" body filler (filler with fibre glass mixed in) and sanding. A final coat of regular filler will give a perfect surface for painting.

traviss10_999 09-23-2004 03:10 PM

sorry guys about the spelling i didn't pay attention too when i was typing that was my first reply too board

Restore60s 09-23-2004 03:36 PM

Panels

Look up Rod Doors on the internet. They have a lot of fantastic universal door panels and boards to design your own and all kinds of goodies for the do-it-yourselfer.-----:thumbup:

thegarage01 09-25-2004 12:53 AM

kristkustoms, I usually don’t post on sites like this; but I couldn’t pass this one up. In your reply (or correction) to traviss10_999 post, in which you complain about his writing prowess you use the wrong inflected form of bad. “Im not trying to be a jerk, but I think that was the worse spelling and grammar that ever went into a post. “

mustang_Tomsilver 11-30-2005 03:50 PM

Hi all,

I am new to fiberglass fab and am really interested in giving it a try.

I was hoping m1e9r5c6 or anyone could give me an actual product name.

I see m1e9r5c6 was talking about "kitty hair" ... who sells it?

And what about regular filler (Do you mean regular ol' bondo?)

Sorry if these questions are super simple but I am a newbie :confused:

Thanks,
mustang_Tom

jeeptuff 12-04-2005 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustang_Tomsilver
Hi all,

I am new to fiberglass fab and am really interested in giving it a try.

I was hoping m1e9r5c6 or anyone could give me an actual product name.

I see m1e9r5c6 was talking about "kitty hair" ... who sells it?

And what about regular filler (Do you mean regular ol' bondo?)

Sorry if these questions are super simple but I am a newbie :confused:

Thanks,
mustang_Tom

Kitty hair can be had at any auto body supply store.. As for "Bondo" brand, stay away from it, use quality filler like Evercoat, it's easy to work with and really easy to sand..

mustang_Tomsilver 12-05-2005 10:16 AM

Thanks Jeeptuff for the info.

Now I have a question about the amount of resin needed.

I am going to attempt to make a door panel (here in the future) for my 66 mustang, so it will not be any thing complicated.

Basically a flat panel with an arm rest molded into it.

Anyway back to the question. Anyone have any idea the amout of resin it would take to soak fleece(quart, half gal. or gal.) ? :confused:

Would one mix this resin say a quart at a time if a gallon is need? :confused:

chadsbodyshop49119 12-06-2005 10:40 PM

Let's say he's doing this method and want's to mold in a speaker into the door panel.. will this be strong enough to hold the vibrations or will it crack

BillyShope 12-07-2005 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m1e9r5c6
... And it is not polite to post in all CAPS. It's hard to read and is like you're YELLING!

I can understand anyone trying to make their posts more readable on this forum. I have a terrible time reading that white font on black. I've taken to making my entire post bold and I wish others would do the same. (To do this, place a "b" inside the square brackets...found to the right of the "p" on the keyboard...at the beginning of your post and a "/b" within the same square brackets at the end of your post.) If enough posters do it, maybe they'll take the hint and change the background color.

WakBordr7387 12-07-2005 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyShope
I can understand anyone trying to make their posts more readable on this forum. I have a terrible time reading that white font on black. I've taken to making my entire post bold and I wish others would do the same. (To do this, place a "b" inside the square brackets...found to the right of the "p" on the keyboard...at the beginning of your post and a "/b" within the same square brackets at the end of your post.) If enough posters do it, maybe they'll take the hint and change the background color.

Just to let you know Billy, You can change the background color on your screen for this website.
At the top left of your screen youll see the link for User CP. when you click on that it will take you to your preferences. Then on the left hand side click on Options. Then scroll all the way down, and at the bottom you will see where it change the color from black to white. :thumbup:

Brad

BillyShope 12-07-2005 12:38 PM

Ah, much, MUCH better! Thanks a lot. (Actually, I'd prefer tan as a "compromise," but the white is certainly better than the black.)

Thanks again.

truracer1000 12-07-2005 08:57 PM

fiberglass materials

ive learned ofer the past years through working with fiberglass that fleece is the way to go...i have tried many other materials but nothing compares..the first box i ever built i buit for a girl i knew and it was terrible...i used a bed sheet for a base for the fiberglass and that was a bad idea because it isnt thick enough to withstand the vibrations of a subwoofer and cracked imediatly....but i told her i would finish it for her so i slaped some bondo on it and painted the thing...good friend huh?? well aside from that i started building my skills in fiberglass doing smaller projects such as kick pannels and gauge pods..about two years later i did a full custom interior on my 95 camry but a girl i went to school with hit me and totaled it :( ...sad yes i know but now i have an 84 chevy pickup that i love and i am in the middle of doin.....my point is i have had many screw ups over the years and i have pretty much got it right now so if you have a question dont be afraid to ask because ive already made all the mistakes..no need for you to make them as well!!

great adventure 12-08-2005 12:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
hi every body..

i am new member here..
good painter/custom painter, and profissional racing boats builder
from bahrain the middle east...

do u like my boat..

ga