Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - fiberglass door panels, dash, center console, sub enclosure, amp rack
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 11:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

door panels and crap

For a dash I would def say that a light wood frame with fleece and glass mat would work fine. Honestly, if you want to retain all your mounting points get creative. Try cutting the mounts out of the old dash and glassing them into the new dash. Just make sure its nice and thick so they don't break off, but that should solve the problem of threading and sizing and everything else. For door panels you could try the same thing for the mounts but i think for the panel you're gonna wanna use glass with masking tape/tinfoil to make a mold of the basic shape and then use fleece and some mdf or dowels to build your custom curves. As far as your wire hookups yeah you're gonna have to figure that out. I would say glass, cut out your holes for switches and if using stock stuff, bondo that in then paint the whole thing with that just taped over but that's not my specialty You can always place stuff after your glass before your bondo since your opinion might change on what loc looks good once the piece is finished. Just a drill bit and a jigsaw and you've got a mounting hole (then do your bondo afterwards and your mount edges will be nice and smooth.)