Fiberglass Front Clip Stripping point? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 02:17 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fiberglass Front Clip Stripping point?

Hi!

So we are working on stripping the body of my '77 Vette and the back clip seems normal. We are stripping it and went through the array of colors, clear, white black, red, until we made it down to the gray fiberglass....

The issue is the front clip....

We are thinking it might have been replaced as the glass underneath seems different than the rest....

My husband sanded a bit in the front and it is different too...

It seems to be clear, white, pink, white and gray. The pink seems like it's some type of bonding material and we are thinking the white is gelcoat and then the raw fiberglass.

We don't know to what point to strip it down to, the gelcoat or fiberglass? It seems to us that if we strip it down to the raw fiberglass that it is a lot of "meat" we would be taking off? Would we then have to build it back up by laying more glass?

Has anyone experienced this before? Recommendations?

Thanks,
Annemarie

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 03:33 PM

Last photo:

Boy you really did tear that vette down, in a 30-40 year old car anything is possible. If I were you I dont think I would take it any further than the gel coat at best, not even that far if it is not nessacery. How is what you have as far as paint goes, is it flaking or peeling or cracking? If the "layers" of paint are not that bad you really dont need to go too far in removing them. Use that paint as a primer base. We really need to know the condition of the existing paint.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

77 I believe is in the transition period from fiberglass to SMC (Sheet Molded Composite) which would account for the difference in appearance you are getting. You can tell the difference in paint and body material so stop already. SMC takes different body fillers so get he right stuff for that. Vettes are not gel coated. PM BarryK for help as he is the expert here on Vettes and use the SPI epoxy primer please.

Sam
69 widetrack (03-23-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 05:27 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
77 I believe is in the transition period from fiberglass to SMC (Sheet Molded Composite) which would account for the difference in appearance you are getting. You can tell the difference in paint and body material so stop already. SMC takes different body fillers so get he right stuff for that. Vettes are not gel coated. PM BarryK for help as he is the expert here on Vettes and use the SPI epoxy primer please.

Sam
Hi Annemarie, great to hear from you again. I am in total agreement with what "OneMoreTime" suggested in all aspects of your Corvette, the materials that it's made of and who the resident expert here on Hot Rodders .Com is and the proper material to use in your restoration. BarryK is the owner of SPI paints and has great insight on the restoration of these Corvettes. If you send him a Private Message, he has always been prompt in replying and has your best interest at heart.

Ray
Old 03-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

OH, Annemarie, send BarryK the pictures of your Corvette as well, I'm sure it would help.

Ray
Old 03-23-2013, 06:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr4speed View Post
Boy you really did tear that vette down, in a 30-40 year old car anything is possible. If I were you I dont think I would take it any further than the gel coat at best, not even that far if it is not nessacery. How is what you have as far as paint goes, is it flaking or peeling or cracking? If the "layers" of paint are not that bad you really dont need to go too far in removing them. Use that paint as a primer base. We really need to know the condition of the existing paint.
Yes, we have it in pieces. Chassis is ready with suspension is on. Engine has been mocked up. Steering too. We are now working on the body. I have pieces of my Vette all over the house! .

One reason we are going down to the fiberglass is to find the bonding strips as we are replacing the fenders with custom flared fenders we purchased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post

Sam
Yeah, I know they don't use gelcoat but I thought it might be an aftermarket piece, not original, so that they might have used gelcoat. I will check with BarryK as suggested to see what I should do.

As far as primer/paint....I was going to post to get some help with that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
OH, Annemarie, send BarryK the pictures of your Corvette as well, I'm sure it would help.
Ray
Hi Ray!! Super nice to talk to you again! I was actually going to ask you about the paints to use!

You know how detailed, not to say another word, I can be and I want to finish and paint all the underside of the body too. I am thinking some sort of semi-loss or flat black. I am assuming it has to be primed the same as the top? I have also read that some primers aren't compatible with some base coats/clear coats? Do you clear coat the underside? I imagine we primer the whole thing and then paint the underside. Any preferences/suggestions?

Thanks guys!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:38 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

The thing about base coat/clear coat is that all the base coat does is give you the color and offers virtually no protection from the elements, that's what the clear coat does. What you can do is paint the underneath or inside parts with either a semi gloss, satin or flat black single stage paint or you can spray a regular black base coat and top coat it with a semi gloss. satin or flat clear coat. All major manufacturer's have package stock black single stage paint. Another avenue you could do and the reason I mention this is for price and quality would be to use SPI black base coat and then top coat it with their lower gloss clear. The SPI Epoxy has already been recommended as a primer that you should use, the good thing about this is that SPI Epoxy comes in black and would give you great protection, excellent for applying a black top coat over top of the primer (If you get a rock chip...your primer is black as well and it wouldn't be nearly as noticeable).

All SPI primers are compatible with any major manufacturer's base coats. I don't know what color your planning to paint your Corvette but here are several manufacturer's and Brands that I would recommend. If your leaning towards Dupont, I would recommend Chroma Premiere, it's a little pricier than Chroma Base but has better coverage and better metallic control. PPG is another good choice, either Deltron or Global, both work well, both have excellent coverage and metallic control, Deltron is a little less expensive, but does a great job. If the car is going to be Black, White or if it's going to be Red, SPI does have those colors in base coat and again, priced extremely well...the only problem is that they only have one shade of Red and one shade of White...Black from SPI only has one shade as well, (believe it or not...black does come in different shades from the car manufacturer's and they can't even keep that color consistent in their paint codes. These days there are variant chips at your local paint jobber for the same paint code of black).

Yes, I would prime the all the pieces, inside and out and then paint the underneath. If the outside of the car is going to be a fairly dark color, I would recommend the dark gray/black Epoxy from SPI, it applies extremely well, excellent build capabilities and it sands as good as most 2K primers. I like using a dark primer for most any color I'm painting because when I block the car for paint I can get a better reflection in the primer after blocking which lets me know if I have high or low spots in my body work and I can straighten them out easier when I know where they are. Seeing that your working on a Corvette...you will understand high spots and low spots in the body work very well before you are done...LOL

Hope this helps Annemarie, if you need any more information, or if I wasn't clear, let me know, I'll be happy to help.

Ray
Old 03-23-2013, 09:26 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I don't know what color your planning to paint your Corvette ...
Ray

I don't know either!

So originally when we got the car I thought of painting it flat white with a flat black back bumper and stripe. Now I am on the fence about it because of all the flat cars I have seen lately. So not sure if I would want maybe a combination gloss white with a flat black stripe or just gloss. The issue is that I have already done in flat black the headers, the side pipes, and the side sills too. So I am up in the air at this point, not really fully decided.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

I understand your dilemma and if I can be perfectly honest with you, I'm hoping the flat any color paint fad is over real soon. I don't want to offend anybody, but, I don't like it...just my opinion. Flat black headers and side pipes, I can live with that, I did my nephews Corvette like that last summer with the body a metallic Orange...it looked good.

We've been getting along well for a little while now...lol...but gloss white? All the lines on that car just scream for color and what you can do with pearls would amaze you. With a little bit of trial and not much error you could make all the high points on that car looked like they're plugged in when the sun hits the car.

I like paint work like that, it needs to be subtle yet knock your socks off when the light hits it, easy to repair if God forbid anything happened and of coarse, something that you like.

It's your call, but if you like I can dream up a formula or two if you let me know what color you like besides white. You could have a little bit mixed up at your local paint supply store, like 50 or 100 grams and look at it out in the sun. If you liked it, you'd have a formula and repair would be easy...so let me know if this is something that might interest you.

Like I said though Annemarie, your car your call, but I'm willing to help, either way.

Ray
Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

I know..White...blah...but that is the original color of the car so that is why we had originally said let's, do white.

Realistically, there isn't much "original" that will be left on the car. I think only the chassis, birdcage, firewall, parts of the front and rear clip and some original interior pieces. I ended up having to buy a different block bc the block had a crack in it. I was thinking of having it,lock-n-stitched just to have the original matching number block but I don't even know if that will be worth doing.

The car should be bad *** once it is done....wildwood brakes, van steel coil-overs, 1/2" ss fuel line with custom aluminum fuel tank, 350 block bored 30 over....383 stroker with vintage air serpentine system and air conditioner....list goes on and on.

I want the stripe like the orange car here:
Car Guy Chronicles: RARE BALDWIN-MOTION PHASE III GT CORVETTES
(Except mine has the bumper separated and no chrome)

Maybe a cool color would make it that much better!? Just don't know which one!

Your killing me...lol!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Annemarie, I promise you that a cool color is going to set that car off and I would't stake my life on it but I give the whole flat paint thing a couple of more years and it'll become one of those "that's so 2010's thing. Whereas a cool color always stands the test of time. The car your working on has great lines and white to me, just takes away from all the curves and as you said, it's going to be pretty far from original in every other regard.

I like Orange on a Corvette, but, I also like dark colors on a Corvette. Here's a thought, if I can come up with a color that looks Black in the shade and a glowing Orange on the high points in the sun, would that interest you? Or even Black on a cloudy day, but when the sun hits it the tops just glow. You could use the same stripe design, but how about ghost stripes, again, you would only really see the stripes in the sun. Now, I'm saying Orange, it can be done with any other color as well, not a Tri-Coat, so as I mentioned repair would be easy (just like shooting regular base coat) and you'd have a formula. Also, it wouldn't need to be Black, any other dark color works exceptionally well when you use pearls properly.

I'm just trying to get your creative thorough juices flowing and giving you ideas (or confusing you which isn't my intention)

Ray
Old 03-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

You know, I was just rereading your last post and with all the changes that your making...or should I call them upgrades...all the more reason to give that car paint that stands out and pops in the right conditions. A numbers marching block in you Corvette isn't going to help the value enough to get it done the way you described, much of the car is not what came out of the factory, working on color in my opinion would be a good move.

Sorry, but I get excited when I see a project I like...LOL.

Ray
Old 03-24-2013, 05:26 AM

Hi. I have a 73 that I took down that far and am slowly putting it back together. It is a lot of work. Good luck.
In 1973 they went to SMC or sheet molded compound. You can tell the difference because the inside is a smooth as the outside and is grey in color. Your front end is an after market piece and more than likely a one piece unit so you will not find the bonding strips because there are none. You can still use the SMC bonding adhesive to put it on. Did you have to replace the birdcage ? I did so I had to take mine down that far also.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by loli View Post
Hi. I have a 73 that I took down that far and am slowly putting it back together. It is a lot of work. Good luck.
In 1973 they went to SMC or sheet molded compound. You can tell the difference because the inside is a smooth as the outside and is grey in color. Your front end is an after market piece and more than likely a one piece unit so you will not find the bonding strips because there are none. You can still use the SMC bonding adhesive to put it on. Did you have to replace the birdcage ? I did so I had to take mine down that far also.
No, we didn't replace the birdcage instead repaired the rust, removed the top corners and replaced them with new parts. The lower corners were rebuilt and the remaining areas where repaired by cutting out the rust and grafting in the new steel. We also replaced the rails. The whole thing was then powder coated. Here are some pics for you:

Began with:

Ended up with this:

Old 03-24-2013, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I like Orange on a Corvette, but, I also like dark colors on a Corvette. Here's a thought, if I can come up with a color that looks Black in the shade and a glowing Orange on the high points in the sun, would that interest you? Or even Black on a cloudy day, but when the sun hits it the tops just glow. You could use the same stripe design, but how about ghost stripes, again, you would only really see the stripes in the sun. Now, I'm saying Orange, it can be done with any other color as well, not a Tri-Coat, so as I mentioned repair would be easy (just like shooting regular base coat) and you'd have a formula. Also, it wouldn't need to be Black, any other dark color works exceptionally well when you use pearls properly.

I'm just trying to get your creative thorough juices flowing and giving you ideas (or confusing you which isn't my intention)

Ray
Of course it interests me!

What do you mean by not a Tri-coat? Is it that usually to get this you need to paint a base + the some sort of pearl + something else? You are telling me you can do this by mixing and not having to spray the car like that?

I love the black/orange idea. Only hesitation is there is a similar car built hat is black...but if I paint like you mention mine will be that much better! lol

I have been looking at car colors...I like black, dark gray, dark blue, orange, not so dark blue...I'll PM you so we don't drive everyone in the forum crazy.

Annemarie

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.