Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - fiberglass hood
Thread: fiberglass hood
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I don't know if this will work for you, you have to see if you have the room in your inner panel. (skip to the last section if you have no inner panel) I have cut holes in the back of the hood inner panel, then shoved a 3/4" square steel tubing about 3'-4' long, (or as long as you can work with) with a 1/4 X 1X 12" plate welded on it for the hinge to bolt on to. I cut away some of the tube to keep the height at 3/4" with the plate welded on. Once the hole is cut, the piece is test fitted until you can get it all the way in. Make sure the steel does not change the shape of the hood. Drill a hole in the inner panel at the front end of the steel so you can put a sheetmetal screw into the steel and pull it up tight to the inner panel. Put a bead of epoxy, panel adhesive, (steel/composite compatable), on the part of the steel that will come in contact with the inner panel. put it in place then screw it tite to the inner panel. when the epoxy cures, drill and tap the hood hinge mounting holes. Don't let the epoxy or the steel come in contact with the underside of the outer panel unless you can stand some transfer of the glue bondline pattern. you can patch up the hole at the back if you want, usually it doesn't show. I did this on a hood a few years back for a customer, but I can't remember what kind of car it was. I remember that the inner panel had alot of room in it. That made it easy.

Does this hood have any kind of inner panel? I guess I should have asked that first. Doh! Let us know if it has no inner panel . I can help with that too. hope this helps, Mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Last edited by powerrodsmike; 03-29-2006 at 08:50 PM. Reason: It is easier to edit my old posts than write new ones