Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass hood blocking
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just a few questions...What grit of paper are you using to block the hood out with?

The reason I ask is because it looks real smooth and using a fine grit paper makes blocking to get a large panel straight very difficult.

Another question, what type of block are you using and how much pressure are you putting on the block?

If your using a small small block on a large area it can take for ever to straighten a large panel if you can get it totally straight at all...I see your using guide coat and that's excellent, when you block a panel, there should be minimal pressure put on the block, let the paper do the work. If you apply a lot of pressure, you are actually digging out the substrate, and effectively turning your block into an eraser to remove the guide coat.

From what I've read on your posts you have applied 1 coat of epoxy, putty, and 6 coats of 2K primer...that is a lot of material and just thinking about your blocking methods.

Ray