Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass hood blocking
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Newbie sponge

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks for all of this info...

Re: sprayable poly... I almost bought some when I did my trunk lid. that thing had so many undulations from the steel bracing. That was a year or two ago and I did use too much pressure when I started that. I stuck with it and got it pretty flat after getting help from this forum.
I am not opposed to using spray poly, but I there have been a few 'puruists' out there that talked me in to sticking with spreadable. Also, I have seen some cars that have nice chips due to too much of it, so I am weary of doing it. It does sound so nice to be able to spray on a nice flat coat to sand off.

I finished filling all those areas that I have circled. I have not done a reflection check yet, but it does block out the guide coat now. I am afraid of that right side... it has some waves that seem to block out nice... I am attaching a video clip of the reflection prior to filling.

As far as my grits and blocks...
I am knocking down the poly putty with 180, then switching to 220 once it starts to feather. I will finish with 320 and 400 before the sealer coat.
I use Durablock. I have been using the full size 16" and the standard 11". I have done the flat surface sanding on them, so they are pretty flat. As far as pressure, I like to think that I am not putting too much pressure on the blocks. I try to put just enough to keep a good hold of it and to keep it flat against the surface. I keep my hands and fingers spread out across the block so that I do not apply too much pressure to any specific spot. And I do change the paper regularly to keep it cutting.

Here is the video.. I will do this again at some point today to see where I am now.