Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass hood blocking
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yes Brian, it's gratifying to know that your respected well after your gone. I still keep in touch with many of my past customers right across Canada...A major part of sales is relationship building, if you can build a sincere relationship with an employer and customers and gain their respect it snowballs.

I remember when I first became a rep for Dupont. I had a new territory, no accounts at all. On the first day my new Boss asked me how long it would take me to get an account...I asked him if he wanted me to build the business or get an account, because if he wanted an account I could have three by noon. If he wanted me to build a stable business it might take me several months to get an account...He asked me to explain...I told him that I needed to target the most respected and trusted body shop in my territory...when I felt that they had faith in me (I would know if they did because if they asked me to do something, they wouldn't ask me if they didn't have the faith that I would do it) when I do it, they begin to respect me....when I do it often enough, they trust me. When a customer trust you for your actions and ability, sales are much easier. When you target the most respected and trusted place of business as your your cornerstone, many other shops want to have what that one shop has...you.

Faith...Respect...Trust

As far as having respect for Henry's ability, not a problem, he does great work, I've read his posts and he is an intelligent, knowledgeable man. I do respect his ability.

As I mentioned in a previous post about the line "and I've never had a problem", when a potential problem exists. A technician may have never had a problem doing something a certain way...maybe because he knows how to get around it. What about the new guy who is reading through posts and picks up just enough information to cause a major problem....all because somebody with 20 years experience said "I've never had a problem". I also take offence to being compared to a Wyo Tech Kidd running around saying my teacher told me Blah, Blah, Blah. In my opinion his choice of words was poor at best and perhaps he needs to rethink them.

I'm not always right...far from it. If I'm wrong, I'll say I'm wrong, I will apologize...on the same token when I know I'm right, I try and weigh out the consequences and decide if I need to take a stand. In this case I chose to take a stand for what I feel is right.

I haven't lost any respect for Henry's ability, that is a constant, he is an excellent Technician and does have valuable information. If I wasn't in the trade I wouldn't have any problem bringing Henry a vehicle for him to restore, I know it would be in good hands.

Ray