Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass hood blocking
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech69 View Post
Have you tried it and know first hand it doesn't work? The guy who taught me this has an impeccible reputation and restores cars all across the states. I'm sure if he was doing it 'wrong' he'd know by now. This isn't to say you cake a whole care with it. You do it once every blue moon, mainly bodylines.
Henry, this is the kinda thing like sand blasting body panels, or welding a seam through the middle of a roof it CAN be done but with one small mistake, one tiny thing that isn't made very clear by someone warning him a guy can RUIN his car.

That guy who taught you likely understands this, he likely doesn't prime a car soon after he does it (being he does restorations this is common).

There are somethings that are simply "different" and who cares which way it's done one may be better than another, but they all get it done. Then there are the things that have the potential of causing serious problems. I am going to warn the novice of those every time. And every time I get someone beating me up for warning some poor guy so at the very least he understands the ramifications of doing it wrong. This is one of those subjects, that bondo being soaked with wax and grease remover can cause catastrophic problems that would destroy all the guys hard work and cost a ton of money to repair. I am going to warn them, I think it's our responsibility to do this.

I have never made the mistake because I have never done it on a regular basis knowing it's ramifications. Just because some guy who has been doing show cars and restorations for years doesn't mean a thing. I have known a number of HUGE names in the business (not personally) by visiting their shops as a rep. Look at what big names there are around the Contra Costa county and SF bay area and you will see some HUGE names that I don't need to mention. I saw a lot of less than proper work at these shops. So just because someone has a big name and a bunch of cars out there doesn't mean they are doing things right. I remember when I worshiped guys, then I started seeing that we all are pretty much alike. We make mistakes and we need to keep our eyes open to learn so we don't make them as much.

Brian