Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass hood blocking
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
On another forum I have a guy who has told me in confidence about a very large well known restoration shop that has a big web site who is highly spoke of on the site we meet at. He is re-doing a car that was done there with new quarters and rockers and what not installed on the car. He has described some horrendous work to me, like welding a quarter over the top of the rusted old one!

I respect the hell of the big names but also question a little bit and want to understand what they do. It isn't going to be taken as gospel just because it comes from them. This is why we want to explain things, if it makes sense then do it, if it doesn't then don't.

Brian
Very often reputations can be built on a false premise and the assumption that everything is done correctly is made. I came from an area of Canada that to me was different from where I am now. I stopped selling lacquer primmer in Western Canada over 25 years ago. I am now living in the Eastern part of the Country and at my current location numerous shops are still using it. I couldn't believe it...and their work looked good....for how long?...well, I saw a vehicle that was done in base/clear and 3 years later, it came back. The paint had sunk over the body filled areas and had several adhesion issues. I was asked to diagnose the problem and I did. I asked the shop owner why he still used lacquer primmer and he told me because of cost and speed and that if it gets out the door that's great, if it comes back, he'll worry about it then.

The shop had been past down from Grandfather, to Father, to Son and the son was living off of the reputation that his forefathers earned. He never changed with the times.