Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass hood blocking
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 03:43 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarli65 View Post
So what do you guys think of my hood?
Well...I guess it is time to get back to the original question...sorry about all of the unrelated back and forth stuff...and I mean that...I thought about it last night and that's one of the reasons I got up a little earlier today...again sorry, you asked for information and you deserve more.

It's hard to tell by the pictures (pictures help a lot but it would be much easier to give you a 100% do this response if we could feel the highs and lows in person). I feel that a little to much pressure was put on the block and to fine a paper was used...I would re-prime, guide coat the hood, put some 180 on the long block and gently sand the hood in a cross hatch method. If your not sure what cross hatch means, it means to sand in one direction like //// for 6 to 10 strokes across the hood...then go back the other way \\\\...always gently letting the sand paper do the work...not you pushing on down on the block. Once you see that the panel is getting straight, re-guide coat and move to a finer grit, nothing courser than 280 grit. Use the same cross hatch method until the guide coat is gone or you burn through to the gel coat.

You should have enough material on the hood...now that the hood is getting straight you could give the hood 2 more medium wet coats of primer, guide coat and then long block with 400 grit minimum, (I always like something a little finer for base coat like 600 wet but 400 usually works quite well)...Now use your Wax and Grease remover to check for the panel being straight...if it's not, you will need to long block some more, if it is straight...paint it.

Ray