Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass hood blocking
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I will add to this is the importance of a truly flat block. If the tool your using has a slight bow to it, you can block till the cows come home and you will never get it straight. You had mentioned your using Durablocks, I personally don't use these for the simple reason there just not flat, period. But check them to a flat straight edge, something like a table saw top, and you will see just how flat they really are. Another thing I will mention is I always spray an even layer of poly primer over the rough cut of 36 grit. Because once you block it flat with the course paper what happens is you create ripples trying to get rid of the 36 grit scratches from skimcoats that are uneven. Now throw in a bowed block on top of that. It can get very frustating to say the least. When you lay down an even coat of poly it will stay flat with your rough cut of filler, making the blocking with the finer grits that much easier, and truer. I hope I have explained this in a way that makes a lot of sense to you.