Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Fiberglass hood work.
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 06:02 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Ray, you are 100% correct on the fact that fiberglass should be repaired with fiberglass, metal with metal and vinyl with vinyl and so on. I am currently doing a shelby with a glass nose. There was a repair done right behind the front bumper that was cracking and repaired only using filler not glass. Obviously that repair was done incorrectly and did not hold up, so I repaired it the correct way with fiberglass strands layered in resin. That is the key word here "repair", this instance we are dealing with a hood that has no cracks, no weak spots , and no damage, it should not have it is BRAND NEW. Now when you get a hood that we all know are as wavy as an ocean, what do you do to get that hood straight? I am pretty sure you would not "resculpt" the hood with fiberglass reinforced filler or layered coats of fiberglass stranded resin. I am sure we can agree that you will most likely skim coat that whole thing to make it straight with bodyfiller. Sure you are bound to have areas that are pretty thick in the real low spots, but you and I both know that will not be a problem. Can we agree on that? Your way to fill this hood will for sure work, as will mine. After all isn't bodyfiller a resin as is fiberglass, both do use a hardener that will work on either. The example I gave was an extreme one to prove a point as to the cracking issues that were mentioned, if this way was a sure failure, it sure would have happened in this case.