Hot Rod Forum banner

Fiberglass interior using foam.....

9K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Riverman 
#1 ·
I get a regular news letter from a hotrod group and in it I see this LINK Looking closely I notice that the foam being used is a spray type very similar to the project that I did. Well for that I used the insulation foam and this looks just like it. Can someone let me know exactly what it is they are using. I was planning on using the floral foam when I start mine, but this looks much easier. If I could spray it up then it would save a lot of time.
Plus what did they use to protect the car from having that stuff stick to it? I would expect it to be like glue. Thanks

#3 ·
H'mmmm

Looked kinda like duct tape was used..anyway I would want to mask off the areas I did not want the foam to stick to before I sprayed it..that stuff is like a glue and could be a hard task to get off of an area where it was not wanted..

OMT

#4 ·
I think the foam you are seeing is polyurethane. Floral foam is usually polystyrene and depending on if you use polyester resin or epoxy it may or may not work.

Polyester resin (fiberglass) will dissolve polystyrene foam, epoxy resin will not.

Polyurethane foam will work with either polyester resin or epoxy resin.

Vince

#8 ·
I've used this stuff before. It looks like the pour in place expanding foam that I used on my boat when rebuilding it. It's used for floatation, filling voids and is also structural when filled in the hull cavities.
If you goto a fiberglass supplier you can buy it. It's a two part mix.
There are also guys that spray it commercially, used in boats and insulation for hot tubs etc.

#9 ·
Guys, I have worked with literally tons of this stuff, and yes it is a polyurethane. We inject and mold about 14000 cubic feet per day at work. There is a special mold release out there, but when we get hard up, we use spray silicone first and then Johnson & Johnson paste wax. With paste wax alone, sometimes it will still stick due to heat the foam releases during cure. Anything that acts as a sacrificial barrier would work, even thin plastic, plastic tape etc. A tip here, if you want to cut this stuff, butcher knife works good and on large pieces, a carpenter saw. For shaping, try a high speed grinder / sander, or even a sanding block with 60 - 80 grit. You can mold the heck out of this stuff. By the way, the house type foam and the boat flotation foam are very different critters chemically & some properties. All about 2-4lb per cubic foot foam though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.