Fiberglass over the top - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 AM

Last journal entry: Finally the first two shows
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fiberglass over the top

This is really for interior use but I would guess the answer is here. I'm thinking of trying to take a glass mold, sort of, from the top of my '46 Chevy pickup cab to use as a headliner. I am open to all of the advice I can get. I just recently bought headliner kit from LMC, going by the picture in the catalog, I thought it was formed but turned out to be just flat sheets of cardboard. So I started thinking of making a molded liner.

What is the easiest way to protect the top? Would just a couple of layers be enough (still flexable?)? Would any material be okay for the first/inside layer? What else...?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 12:32 PM

Last photo:

fiberglass over the top

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46highboypu
This is really for interior use but I would guess the answer is here. I'm thinking of trying to take a glass mold, sort of, from the top of my '46 Chevy pickup cab to use as a headliner. I am open to all of the advice I can get. I just recently bought headliner kit from LMC, going by the picture in the catalog, I thought it was formed but turned out to be just flat sheets of cardboard. So I started thinking of making a molded liner.

What is the easiest way to protect the top? Would just a couple of layers be enough (still flexable?)? Would any material be okay for the first/inside layer? What else...?

Thanks
How did you plan on putting this in? I mean were you going to screw it in or did you plan on putting the fiberglass right on the metal. Glass will not hold putting it right on the metal, it will for a short period, but it will come loose.
It really should be made with a little room between the glass and top so you can put in insulation. I have a complete glass insert, but it's on a glass car and I could glass it in. Mine was not flexible at all, to put it in, the door was off, and nothing in the car.
You could take some slats and put on the top then make a form out of cardboard, you will need lips on it for around the back window, the doors and the windshield, so you can use screws to hold it in or however you attache it.
You have to wax the cardboard so the glass will not stick to it, I would try and do one layer while it is in the car, then take it out to do the rest. It will be a messy job that way, if you can make a form that is good enough, do it out side the car. I will stop there, I'm sure others have there way of doing it, so take them all in, it's really not that hard just messy. Soak this up for now, ask more, we are all glad to help.

Bob
Old 01-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

What I would do is to lay a couple of layers of wax paper on the roof of the car and then layup what we call a splash which is a couple of layers of 1 1/2 oz mat..make it large and trim it to fit as a head liner ..once you are happy then apply your material to that..a splash is fairly flexible so it should not give you too much difficulty..

Sam
Old 01-30-2011, 12:45 PM

Last journal entry: 54
Last photo:

Yeah, I would HATE to fiberglass something that big in a cab. The resin will drip right out of the mat and soak everything and you. VERY messy!!!You could take some plastic sheet (plexiglass maybe) thin enough to mould but thick enough to hold its shape, and cut it in a couple of pieces. Take a heat gun and soften the sheet enough to mould it around the cab. You can the make reference marks on the sheet so you can assemble the pieces outside. Then use that as a template for the glass piece. The fiberglass will not be flexible. Like was said, you will have to use something to keep the fiberglass from sticking to the pattern.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:

What is the easiest way to protect the top? Would just a couple of layers be enough (still flexible?)? Would any material be okay for the first/inside layer? What else...?

Thanks

If your truck isn't painted yet.. Just wax it three times with mold release wax, Lay up two layers on the top of the cab.. Once it has cured.. Pop it off, Then you may have to trim it down to fit inside.. Since your popping it off the outside, It will be a little to big..Trim it down to fit.. this is the easies way to make a glass head liner..
Old 01-30-2011, 08:27 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Here's the one I did for my deuce. Although waxed paper will work, that's what I used.... I advise against it. It will not leave as smooth a surface as you will want and you'll need to do a lot of sanding to get the inside surface smooth enough. Use mold release agent. Its MUCH better, is water soluble and can be sprayed on and you can get it at any fiberglass supply house. I don't live anywhere near a supply house so I more or less had to go with what was available.

I used two layers of chopped mat and reinforced sections with extra strips of mat in order to give it a bit more strength. When you have the part pulled off the top you'll need to cut it front to back down the center and remove a half inch or more in order for it to fit inside well. Just measure and cut away what you need then glass it back together.

The pic below is the one for my deuce after it was cut, glassed back together and sanded. It is now ready for upholstery... in this case vinyl.

Centerline
HotRodsAndHemis.com

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just shoot you. - Anonymous
Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 AM

Last photo:

35/Bob, Sam, Center,et al...Wow! Thanks, this is just what I wanted to know. Especially thanks for the pictures!! My liner will screw in across the back and over the doors. It will need a panel over the windshield which covers the wiper motor and maybe a small storage tray which I will try to glass in too. I will pull the top piece then add the panel. My hotrod was painted last summer so I'm thinking plastic drop cloth over the whole thing first then do the top. I wonder if the first layer could be some kind of textured cloth which will be the actual visible part of the headliner? Working backwards bottom layer would be the top one inside.

THANKS again!
Noel Cummins
Old 01-31-2011, 09:59 AM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

If you have a new paint job I'd seriously consider not building your theadliner on the vehicle. ident that may harm the new paint. I'd check around and see if you can find someone with a similar truck that has old paint, or no paint and see if someone will let you use their's as a base for the mold process. Sure hate to see your next post be about repainting the top of your truck.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
How did you plan on putting this in? I mean were you going to screw it in or did you plan on putting the fiberglass right on the metal. Glass will not hold putting it right on the metal, it will for a short period, but it will come loose.
It really should be made with a little room between the glass and top so you can put in insulation. I have a complete glass insert, but it's on a glass car and I could glass it in. Mine was not flexible at all, to put it in, the door was off, and nothing in the car.
You could take some slats and put on the top then make a form out of cardboard, you will need lips on it for around the back window, the doors and the windshield, so you can use screws to hold it in or however you attache it.
You have to wax the cardboard so the glass will not stick to it, I would try and do one layer while it is in the car, then take it out to do the rest. It will be a messy job that way, if you can make a form that is good enough, do it out side the car. I will stop there, I'm sure others have there way of doing it, so take them all in, it's really not that hard just messy. Soak this up for now, ask more, we are all glad to help.

Bob
This would be a lot easier to upholster if it was in two pieces. A large horizontal piece for the roof and another vertical piece for the area above the seat back that would butt up to the roof section.
Doing it in one piece will require a lot of skill to be able to sew the pieces together and have it come out without a bunch of wrinkles. It can't be done in one piece. Concave shapes, like the back corners next to the rear window, are the hardest things to upholster.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:17 AM

Last photo:

Fiberglass over the top

Quote:
35/Bob, Sam, Center,et al...Wow! Thanks, this is just what I wanted to know. Especially thanks for the pictures!! My liner will screw in across the back and over the doors. It will need a panel over the windshield which covers the wiper motor and maybe a small storage tray which I will try to glass in too. I will pull the top piece then add the panel. My hotrod was painted last summer so I'm thinking plastic drop cloth over the whole thing first then do the top. I wonder if the first layer could be some kind of textured cloth which will be the actual visible part of the headliner? Working backwards bottom layer would be the top one inside.

THANKS again!
Noel Cummins
I sure don't think I would try it over paint, I know you would have trouble with a plastic drop cloth, you would have to wax it so it didn't stick and if it did work you could end up with a bunch of wrinkles on your side that shows. You also could melt the drop cloth or screw up the paint, as glass gets hot as it cures, and if you put too much harder in it the hotter it will get. I have seen it start on fire.
I would do as 1971BB427 said and find another cab, I to would hate to see you repaint. However you do it, it will be messy. Good luck.
\ NI might have some ideas he has done a lot with glass, or maybe Centerline.

Bob
Old 01-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

New Interiors would be the guy to ask. Randy really knows his stuff.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 PM

Last photo:

Maybe this? going to try it on my 39.

http://secure.oldchevytrucks.com/HEA...ctinfo/UPH151/

If u try it let me know how it works out.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:35 AM

Last photo:

Stea,
I checked the web page but there was no picture as yet. This may have been where I found (also not shown) the panel over the windshield that I need, at $125, I think. I will probably try to make my own for both and then end up buying one. But, right back atcha, please send pics of yours if you go this way. And BTW sharp truck!

Noel Cummins
noel_cummins@yahoo.com
Old 09-13-2011, 09:57 AM

Last journal entry: I HATE BONDO
Last photo:

I was thinking about doing this with my 46 Chevy. I'm going to have a 20x30 ragtop sunroof in the middle of mine, so I think I could bring it together in sections. I need to find someone who has a front inner visor panel that they will let me make a mold off of. I think it will look sharp.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.