fiberglass pin holes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2004, 10:00 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

fiberglass pin holes

ok guys, ive got guy here that wants me to fix crappy body kit, its got thousands of tiny pin holes in fiberglass and then he sprayed some "dimensions" brand primer(a.k.a. crap) lol and then it dried. You guessed right it pin holed all up again. what would you suggest to fix that, I thought maybe taking time and laying skin coats of polyester putty and then sanding it down till smooth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2004, 04:10 AM

Last journal entry: 1982 Porsche 933 D-Production Replica
Last photo:

That is what I would suggest. If they are pin holes as you say then one coat of poly should fill them and then just block sand it.
Old 12-14-2004, 05:21 AM
Last photo:

You might try some polyester fill primer. It sprays on and sands easily. Since it is polyester and the same as the glass body it bonds like you would not believe.

vince
Old 12-14-2004, 08:37 PM

Last journal entry: Suggestions worth sharing
Last photo:

I hate to sound like an alarmist, but pinholes over a fresh FRP surface sounds to me like a possible "root cause" might be mold release residue left on the gel coat berfore attempting to paint. Especially a silicone-containing mold release. Before doing any more work on this, I'd try a cross-hatch adhesion test to make sure that you have some adhesion between the gel coat and the first coat of paint that's already on there.

BarryK or MartinSr, do you concur with my opinion on this?

If this proves to be the case, I'd sand thoroughly, then give a good solvent wipe, before putting any additional coatings of any sort on.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

this is probably the case if it is a fisheye and only in the primer but fiberglass is known for pinholes usually where the gelcoat is sanded through or i have even seen some real crap body kits with no gelcoat at all which are a nightmare but if there is a pinhole in the glass it will usually just get bigger and bigger the more coats of primer you put on unless you really drench it enough to fill the hole which is a no no! if its fisheyes from mold release then sand all the primer off, clean with wax and grease remover a couple times and reprime. if its pin holes in the glass then a nice TWO PART glazing putty will work fine. evercoat metal glaze or equivalent. by the way...welcome to the world of fiberglass body kits. 90% of them out there are crap and never fit right. i love the customers who buy the body kit off ebay for $400 that someone copied in their back yard. of course its a copy of a copy of a copy of an original that isn't right to begin with. they all wonder why there is $1200 in fiberglass and bodywork to get it right.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:27 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by powderbill
I hate to sound like an alarmist, but pinholes over a fresh FRP surface sounds to me like a possible "root cause" might be mold release residue left on the gel coat berfore attempting to paint. Especially a silicone-containing mold release. Before doing any more work on this, I'd try a cross-hatch adhesion test to make sure that you have some adhesion between the gel coat and the first coat of paint that's already on there.

BarryK or MartinSr, do you concur with my opinion on this?

If this proves to be the case, I'd sand thoroughly, then give a good solvent wipe, before putting any additional coatings of any sort on.
Exactly right, and some of these are just plain not cured out! You see a lot of these problems with shops that do customizing. Some of these parts come in very uncured.
Some we have sanded epoxy or primer back off and left in the sun for a few days some for weeks.
Some times a short wave or medium wave light will help to cure out panel but I will say we have had mixed result with these lamps in this situation.

We have also found that if you get the panel somewhat cured out and you spray a coat of epoxy over the glass again, if the epoxy does not "Fish-eye" but only minor has minor pinholes
than we have found that the epoxy will have a good bond.
To test this you need to let the panel set 24-48 hours than use duct tape in a number of spots.

We have had a number of parts that never would cure out- many and many!

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.