fiberglass prep - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

fiberglass prep

can anyone tell me what is the proper way to prep a fiberglass hood before paint, right now its a white gel coat, do I primer, I would like to know the steps involved, do I scuff it up before primer, if so what grit sandpaper, and if I spray primer, should I use a high build, how many coats, and do I sand the primer, if so what grit sandpaper, sorry for so many questions I just wanna get it right.. thanks

chris

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Have Gun, Will Paint

Prepping a fiberglass hood isn't much deferent than any other body panel....

First check for any deep scratches, nicks or chips. Repair them with glazing putty
block sand it with 220
wax/grease clean it
tack it
apply 1 coat of epoxy followed by at least 2 coats of highbuild primer (this will fill in any other small imperfections)
block sand again with 400/600
apply sealer
and you'r ready for paint.

If it's a new after market hood with a smooth surface and no imperfections (thats rare).....You may just scuff, clean, spray one wet coat of epoxy sealer and your ready for paint.

NOTE It's not absolutely necessary to use epoxy primer with fiberglass, but the extra protection never hurts
Old 06-07-2005, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

everything above is correct. just want to stress the cleaning part of it. the part came out of a mold so there is going to be a release agent on it, either polymer, wax or pva so be sure to clean it well or fish eye city. wipe down with wax/grease then acetone. sand it then clean it again. the release needs to be 100% gone.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:37 AM

thanks for the reply, thats what I was looking for
Old 06-08-2005, 07:56 AM

Last photo:

Clean it first, then I usually block sand as many defects out as possible and fill any voids, just remember that gelcoat needs to be scuffed/sanded before applying any fillers or primers, Block it with 180, scuff up any divits you need to apply filler in then apply your filler and sand. When the hood is looking good, and fits good you're then ready for two coats of epoxy and either polyester or urethane primer surfacers then final sand and paint. Fitting the fiberglass part is a must before moving to the primer and paint steps IMO. The epoxy primer isn't a necessary but it does help to protect the glass from dryout and also acts as a solvent barrier for any of your topcoats and results in better gloss retention/less dieback. These parts usually look good untill you blocksand them and realize how many defects are actually there. Bob
Old 07-06-2014, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

I have a fiberglass hood that I need to prep. I've already wash with dish soap and clean with W&G remover. Do all the above recommendations above stilll hold true, particularly do you use 180 or 220 to ready the surface for epoxy? I saw Kevit Tetz's video where he used 220 grit on a DA to ready the fiberglass hood for epoxy. Then I've read a couple threads here that stated to use 80 grit sandpaper. I know that 80 grit is used on bare metal, but is it ok on fiberglass. Needless to say I am bit confused on which paper to start with. I plan to use SPI products and guidecoat, if that helps.

1. Is it best to sand the hood by hand or use a DA to rough up the surface for epoxy?

2. If I need to do repairs on the hood, what body filler should I use? I see Bondo and the local parts store, but read that I should stay away from them. .

Thanks...Al

Last edited by Methodical; 07-06-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:38 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methodical View Post
I have a fiberglass hood that I need to prep. I've already wash with dish soap and clean with W&G remover. Do all the above recommendations above stilll hold true, particularly do you use 180 or 220 to ready the surface for epoxy? I saw Kevit Tetz's video where he used 220 grit on a DA to ready the fiberglass hood for epoxy. Then I've read a couple threads here that stated to use 80 grit sandpaper. I know that 80 grit is used on bare metal, but is it ok on fiberglass. Needless to say I am bit confused on which paper to start with. I plan to use SPI products and guidecoat, if that helps.

1. Is it best to sand the hood by hand or use a DA to rough up the surface for epoxy?

2. If I need to do repairs on the hood, what body filler should I use? I see Bondo and the local parts store, but read that I should stay away from them. .

Thanks...Al
Here's photo of the hood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5DM39554-2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	159313  
Old 07-06-2014, 08:22 PM

Last photo:

something that hasn't been mentioned is UV curing of the fiberglass. If it hasn't been UV cured at the factory, you should UV cure it yourself by letting it sit outside in the sun for 5 days.

You can scuff with 220 by either hand or DA in prep for epoxy, then clean with WGR. Spray 2 coats of epoxy. For filler, it is fine to use a polyester filler such as Rage, or my preference, Marson Platinum. Both are creamy and spread and sand very well, but the Marson Platinum is a little cheaper.

On a hood scoop I did I sprayed it with Evercoat Slick Sand after epoxy, which is spray poly, because of how much correction it needed to get a straight surface. I use SPI as well.

Here's a blog entry I did on a fiberglass scoop.

1967 Mustang Restoration: Slick Sand: Sprayable polyester surfacer/primer
Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizer View Post
something that hasn't been mentioned is UV curing of the fiberglass. If it hasn't been UV cured at the factory, you should UV cure it yourself by letting it sit outside in the sun for 5 days.

You can scuff with 220 by either hand or DA in prep for epoxy, then clean with WGR. Spray 2 coats of epoxy. For filler, it is fine to use a polyester filler such as Rage, or my preference, Marson Platinum. Both are creamy and spread and sand very well, but the Marson Platinum is a little cheaper.

On a hood scoop I did I sprayed it with Evercoat Slick Sand after epoxy, which is spray poly, because of how much correction it needed to get a straight surface. I use SPI as well.

Here's a blog entry I did on a fiberglass scoop.

1967 Mustang Restoration: Slick Sand: Sprayable polyester surfacer/primer
Thanks Lizer. I appreciate the suggestions and link (very informative). Btw, I should've mentioned that I've had the hood for a good while now and it has seen it's fair share of sunlight.

Again thanks...Al

Last edited by Methodical; 07-07-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Jim Stainer

Last photo:

I'm no pro but I just treated the glass in my hood and my fender flares like any metal surface and it worked just fine. Mine was not gelcoated just open fiberglass.

For what it's worth I liked duraglass for filler better than normal feather lite type material but that's just me.

This is the fiberglass hood scoop on an aluminum hood

After epoxy primer

After Paint

After a 3000 miles and lots of stress

It still looks great

Last edited by charchri4; 07-07-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by charchri4 View Post
I'm no pro but I just treated the glass in my hood and my fender flares like any metal surface and it worked just fine. Mine was not gelcoated just open fiberglass...
What grit sandpaper did you use to prep the fiberglass for epoxy?

Thanks...Al
Old 07-09-2014, 04:26 PM
Jim Stainer

Last photo:

I took the whole car to 220 for the epoxy primer. As I understand it you don't want to go finer than that so you get some physical help in bonding. I shot 5 coats trying to get the filler lines in the 2nd photo to go away. I freaked when they would not cover but the guys here said it was fine and to just block it and paint it. So I took all that primer to 400 wet then shot one more coat of epoxy and 2 coats of paint and they were right. The paint covered like a dream and the thing looks great.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:10 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=charchri4;2460745]I took the whole car to 220 for the epoxy primer. As I understand it you don't want to go finer than that so you get some physical help in bonding. I shot 5 coats trying to get the filler lines in the 2nd photo to go away. I freaked when they would not cover but the guys here said it was fine and to just block it and paint it. So I took all that primer to 400 wet then shot one more coat of epoxy and 2 coats of paint and they were right. The paint covered like a dream and the thing looks great.[/QUOT

I've seen where folks like yourself stated that they treated fiberglass like metal, so I was wondering if I could use 120 or 180 on the hood to prep for the epoxy since I am block sanding the car with 120 to get it ready for the SPI's black epoxy.

Thanks...Al

Last edited by Methodical; 07-09-2014 at 05:30 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.