Fiberglass "rolled edge" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Fiberglass "rolled edge"

hey,
I am thinking about making some fiberglass fenders. I will use my old fenders to create a mold. I want to create a rolled edge on the wheel well. I can't seem to find anything online about doing this.
Is there a way to do it in the mold or should I pop the fender out of the mold then use clay or a wood frame to make the rolled edge?
Just curious what the "pros" are doing.

Thanks
Jeremy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

I think your mold edge needs to come over the inner fender edge, you may need a parting flange, then usually the molded part is just layed up real thick like 3/16- 1/4
The Following User Says Thank You to John Se For This Useful Post:
Carroll (09-13-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 04:08 PM

Ah of course! I had to google parting flange...
Just to see if i have it right, so make the mold in 2+ parts. Use a clay or something along the parting lines while fiberglassing. Then when it is cured pop the mold apart at the parting flange and release my fender?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 PM

Last photo:

check out you tube, there are many videos on making molds and molding fiberglass. Its fun, creative and itchy!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

Almost anything will work, think out of the box. you only need to support the fiberglass until it hardens, and then you can remove the support or core.

Paper towel cardboard tubes. If diameter is too large, cut lengthwise, roll into itself, and tape together. Cover with Saran wrap to prevent sticking. Notch one side to form the straight tube into a curved tube.

Tap plastics sells a two part expanding foam, you could pour on the part. After it hardens, easy to shape, and dig the foam out of the cavity. You could also use spray can building insulation.

Carve up a piece of Styrofoam. You must prevent contact with polyester resin, if you use Styrofoam, the resin dissolves Styrofoam. If you use Styrofoam, another option is to use epoxy resin to saturate the fiberglass.

If the part is supported in the right orientation, you might be able to just let the first layer of glass to hang free, and then when it sets, put more layers on. I did a repair of a fan shroud that the fan had a hole from when a motor mount broke just by spanning the hole with a layer of glass soaked with resin.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.