Field Find. Is this worth anything? 1937 Ford Dump Truck - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 07:08 PM

Last journal entry: test
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Field Find. Is this worth anything? 1937 Ford Dump Truck

OK, so I came across this today while visiting my folks in the UP and I have the opportunity to pick it up for a song.

Its a 1937 Ford dump truck. Its missing the original side engine covers, but has the original flathead V8 and the rest of the drivetrain (unknown condition). Original grill is there, instrument cluster, lights with intact glass, instrument cluster is there, fenders are intact - the truck has some really nice patina. The factory wind visor is in mint condition, sucker looks brand new.

I don't know is if its worth my time to get a flatbed to jerk it out of this guy's field and either part it out or sell it intact.

What do you guys think? This is the only picture I have of it right now and will get some more tomorrow.

Here's a link to the original giant pic:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/SANY0063.jpg

And a much smaller, website-friendly pic:

Advertisement

Last edited by speedfoos; 10-11-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Fixed the pics...

Last edited by speedfoos; 10-11-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 PM

Last photo:

Field Find, 37 Ford dump truck

You aint drug it home yet? Sure would make a great parade truck. I used to haul coal with one of those when I was a kid. It would outrun the brakes if you werent careful.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 AM

Last photo:

LOL - I can't drag it home, as that's 21 hours from where I'm at right now. Good chance I'm going to leave it in old boy's field. I don't have the time to strip it while I'm here. Maybe I'll get it next year.

Last edited by speedfoos; 10-12-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:27 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

The cab, doors, grill shell and head lamps are the same as the pickup so are worth salvaging. The rest would be scrap metal unless some one would be interested in restoring a dump truck. Not much demand there.

Trees
Old 10-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,044 Posts
I love "working" cars. If I was wealthy I would have a museum of working cars, dump trucks, police cars, taxis,that sort of thing.

Something like the dump truck is usually found in parades owned by the local paving or trucking company. We have a large cement company in my area with a restored cement mixer, very cool.

Brian
Old 10-12-2010, 09:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

My old job ( Hunter Mountian ) now has 2 'display' vehicles.. a late 50's Jeep pickup, and a mid 1970's Snow cat... the Snow Cat has been roughly restored on the outside, but the Jeep pickup retains it's original paint, and old Hunter Mountian logo ( truck was around when the place opened in '59-'60 ).. both run and drive also
Old 10-12-2010, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Field find

Like trees said the cab is the same as the p/u, which will fit on a 35 to 40 frame , car or p/u. A friend of mine has one that he built without fenders, it was on the cover of truckin. He has another one he's building now That one was a water truck for the fire dept. perfect shape and low miles.

Later 35 terraplane
Old 10-12-2010, 02:51 PM

Last photo:

"Oh that truck! That truck will cost you $4000 to take out of my field. I paid $4000, no $4500 for that truck."

Blah blah blah, kiss my arse you old hoarder.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:07 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos

"Oh that truck! That truck will cost you $4000 to take out of my field. I paid $4000, no $4500 for that truck."

Blah blah blah, kiss my arse you old hoarder.
Who's the old hoarder Did not see where someone tried to buy it from you.Hummmmm!!!!!!!!!! But it does have some good parts as Trees has said. Maybe they sent you a PM.

Cole
Old 10-13-2010, 02:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
Who's the old hoarder Did not see where someone tried to buy it from you.Hummmmm!!!!!!!!!! But it does have some good parts as Trees has said. Maybe they sent you a PM.

Cole
The guy I tried to buy it from is the old hoarder, Cole. Truck is not mine I just saw it in this guy's field.

I'll give the rest of the backstory.

Doug (his name) came by the deer blind when my Dad and I were tinkering with some stuff and asked us if we had seen a herd of about 18 turkeys that just crossed the road. We hadn't and I stood there and BS'd with him for about ten minutes, he mentioned he lived up the third driveway on the left during the conversation. We chitchatted some more and then he left.

When we drove by his house, we saw these in his back field from the road.

Not my thing, but I have a good friend who has a hard-on for those little buses in the worst way so I figured we would ask Doug if he was willing to sell one or both.

We drove up to his house and he wasn't there which is when I walked up, took pics of the buses and saw that dumptruck behind a rock line way out in the field and took a quick pic of it.

Next day my old man drops me off at one stand and he goes to sit at another. I bag a doe, give him a call to bring the sled and the field dressing kit and told him to take his time as the doe was bleeding out (clean lung shot) and I didn't want to push her. Well, another little yearling doe comes in, completely oblivious to the one bleeding out on the ground 15 yards away so I call my Dad back and tell him to wait until I call in case momma comes in, or worst case, she just leaves on her own. Either way, I don't want to leave the blind and spook her, running the risk of momma never coming back. She's almost as big as a horse from the trail cam shots we got of her.

While he's waiting, pops goes to talk to Doug about the VWs and the truck. Doug and his wife are there and they have a good talk, but Doug doesn't want to part with the VWs as he is (supposedly) going to rebuild one. Doug is 75 and he's had those VWs for 10 years and has been saying that the whole time. So my Dad asks him about the truck that's behind them buried in the weeds. Doug replies that we can haul it out of there if we cross his palm with $100. Cool. Dad relays all this to me when he gets to the stand so I create this thread and start doing a little research to see if its worth it.

Fast forward to yesterday and we're not sure if we want to go through with it, but either way want to take a closer look at the truck. His wife promised she would work on him about the VWs as she wants them gone.

Apparently there is another truck behind those VWs, a 1980s Dodge pickup that he thought we were talking about and was offering up for a cool $100.

I'll quote that old bastard from yesterday, "You don't have enough money to buy a Volkswagen from me." Then he proceeded to say that '37 ford dump truck could be let go for $4000 like I mentioned. He's got a boat, 15 cars, 8 snowmobiles, the 2 vans, the Type 2, a boat, two airplanes, and a semi trailer all sitting in his field rotting. Plus four outbuildings and a huge pole barn (with two more airplanes in it) full of **** and he doesn't want or need to get rid of any of it. That's where the hoarder comment comes in.

All that said and my personal feelings aside, we left on amicable terms and he's going to let us bow hunt on his 60 acres. I half-jokingly told him I'll be back next year to work on him about those VWs.

So there you go.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Now it all makes sense. And i had chili last night made with yes you guessed it deer meat. Man i love that stuff. Glad you got one .

Cole
Old 10-13-2010, 07:18 PM
wannabe fabricator

Last photo:

Its only worth as much as the work you or somebody else wants to put into it.

My dad has this sitting on his property.

This is about 20 miles away sitting literally out in the middle of a field. Its an old supercharged graham. I would love to restore that one.

Mine looked really similar to the green one and the old ford you found when I found it. 12 years later and I would say its only about 1/3 done the way I want it.

This guy in my little town restored his old ford cabover. Pretty cool.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:00 PM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos
OK, so I came across this today while visiting my folks in the UP and I have the opportunity to pick it up for a song.

Its a 1937 Ford dump truck. Its missing the original side engine covers, but has the original flathead V8 and the rest of the drivetrain (unknown condition). Original grill is there, instrument cluster, lights with intact glass, instrument cluster is there, fenders are intact - the truck has some really nice patina. The factory wind visor is in mint condition, sucker looks brand new.

I don't know is if its worth my time to get a flatbed to jerk it out of this guy's field and either part it out or sell it intact.

What do you guys think? This is the only picture I have of it right now and will get some more tomorrow.

Here's a link to the original giant pic:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/SANY0063.jpg

And a much smaller, website-friendly pic:

For a minute there I thought you had found my old dumptruck that was somewhere in Baraga County the last time I saw it but then I remembered that we put the bed on a '41 . Thanks for the memories though . BTW , my son in-law is in Ft Bragg.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:21 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloc431962
Now it all makes sense. And i had chili last night made with yes you guessed it deer meat. Man i love that stuff. Glad you got one .

Cole
There's nothing better than venison. I bagged three of them this year. Two nice big does that are being done up into steaks, burger, and a few different kinds of sausage. Then I bagged a little one that we canned in quart mason jars after having the loins for breakfast and saving the backstrap. If you've never had canned venison, its awesome. Pull it out of the can, mix it with BBQ sauce and its the best BBQ you'll ever have. We did some elk like that the other night from last season when my dad finally got a tag after six year's in MI's elk tag lottery. Here's the two I'm proud of, that third one was a little too little for a photo op.

This was about 110 dressed.

And this horse was just over 140 dressed. Big does. I'm not a horn hunter as I've yet to come across a good recipe for cooking antlers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanoldfarmtruck
Its only worth as much as the work you or somebody else wants to put into it.......This guy in my little town restored his old ford cabover. Pretty cool.
Thanks for the post. That little white chevy you're working on is a nice little ride. The only reason I'm putting a back seat into my Volvo is for my pooch! Well, my daughter too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adantessr
For a minute there I thought you had found my old dumptruck that was somewhere in Baraga County the last time I saw it but then I remembered that we put the bed on a '41 . Thanks for the memories though . BTW , my son in-law is in Ft Bragg.
You're welcome for the memories and the next time you talk to your son, tell him thanks for serving with me. And if he's a fellow gearhead and needs help with anything, to go through you to get a hold of me. I'm always willing to lend a hand (seriously).

Clint

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.