Fiero Automatic Swap - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 04:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Fiero Automatic Swap

Hey folks, can someone tell me if there is an automatic trans that has over drive that I can put on my 88 2.8 v6 fiero gt? I have the factory 3 speed automatic and it is starting to show it age! I would like an OD tranny!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 04:28 PM

Last journal entry: New Carb
Last photo:

Yes there is and while your at it you can also use the 3800 SC that comes with the parts car you will be pulling it out of
I don't know allot about autos but there are several that will do what you want you just have to get around the computer controls.

My cars are all standards, just dont like autos as much.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

car types

Thanks! Which cars have these in them? What is the transmission type or name?
Old 05-30-2006, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro freak
Thanks! Which cars have these in them? What is the transmission type or name?
I sent you a PM.
I don't have any experience with autos, but there are several newer ones that have the right bolt pattern.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:37 AM

Last photo:

Looks like your after a 4t60
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/067979.html
Its not a direct drop in. Looks like you will need mounts and different axles. I didnt know that it was that much work.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:59 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the great info.

Thank you all! Great info. I got that PM Jake and thanks! Hey, I have read about 3.4 swaps, 3.1 swaps, 3.8 swaps and v8 swaps, however I haven't read about anyone doing a 4.3 v6 swap. What about you all? Guys this is strange but I have always loved my hot rod Camaro's but something is happening to me! I am starting to get into this Fiero and I am liking it! I am 39 soon to be 40. Is it an age thing? I just bought this 88 Fiero GT last weekend and the more I drive it, the more I like it!
Old 05-31-2006, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

Fiero Head!

Well I turned 41 this year. I have been driving a Fiero in one form or another every day for the last 6 years.
My first Fiero was an 85 se auto, I loved that car but it was lacking any power at all and I wanted a stick. I found an 85 GT auto and drove that for a year, the 2.8 was better than the Duke but I still wanted a stick. I picked up number 3 from a local person a red 86 GT 5 speed. Then 2 months later I sold my 85 GT and gave what was left of the 85 SE to a buddy.
Later that summer a friend asked me to go look at a car for him. It turned out to be a very nice gold 86 SE 2.8 4 speed.
The car lot wanted $600 for it because the battery was dead and the clutch bracket was broken. I told my friend about it and he said his wife told him no and that if I wanted it I could get it. So that was number 4. Number 5 was an 84 parts car with a V8 swap already done. I pulled it and installed it into my 86 GT keeping the 5 Speed.
Number 6 came along when number 4 over heated and got water in the oil. Its an 84 with a 2000 2.2 and runs great but needs clutch work. I have been driving it to work and back.
The V8 its a monster, I still have a few things to wrap up but I have been taking it on small drives.

Now that I have spilled my guts let me answer your question. There isnt a front wheel drive tranny that will bolt up to a SBC block. The 4.3 has the same bolt pattern. Find a front wheel drive tranny that will bolt up to it and you will make a lot of friends. For now the only way you can do it is buy an adapter kit. Mine is from www.V8Archie.com but there are others out there but you get what you pay for.

Your 88 is probably one of the most looked for Fieros there is, the 88 had the better suspension and lots of people wont buy any other years. I like all years but would rather have an 86 - 87 SE or GT
Good luck, if you need any help call on these guys
http://www.clevelandfieros.com
They may even be able to help with some parts

Where in Ohio are you located? I grew up in Norwalk and moved to Florida in 1984
Old 05-31-2006, 04:09 PM

Last photo:

Oh yea want to hear it!
http://media.putfile.com/Jakes-V8-audio
Old 05-31-2006, 08:28 PM

Last photo:

sound

That sounds as healthy as any muscle car that I have heard! I would love to take a spin in a v8 Fiero! That must really shock some people out on the road! Wow! I am in Circleville. It is south of Columbus! I am putting my plan together as to what I want to do to with mine! I want to spank some imports and surprise a few Mustang owners! However, I want to drive this everyday during nice weather so gas mileage needs to be 20/ gal or better! I know I want an automatic with over drive and I want one that is close to the 700R4 in gears ratio! (306 1st gear ratio in a 700R4) As for the engine, well, I am still thinking this one over! I want something that is around 300- 350 hp even if I have to build it! Something easy to find and reasonable would be nice! I like how fast v6's rev up, but can I get the numbers without spending my kids future? Also, I would like to keep away from serious mods. or at least keep them to a minimum! The outside I plan to pimp a little! A raised factory wing, custom paint job, some side scoops by rear tires and maybe powder coat the factory rims!

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.