Hot Rod Forum banner

Fiero -engine swap

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  ChevyTruckGuy 
#1 ·
All right -- don't laugh. I've got an 84 Fiero, and I want to pull the 2.5 to replace it with a 2.5 that I will rebuild.

It's a long story, but I'll just say that the original engine tossed a head gasket. Due to my slothful working habits, the pistons have some rust on them. As do the cylilnders, I'm sure.

So, anyway, I have a NEW short block from an 89, that should work, if I use the original head and cam. (Head does not seem to be warped.

My real question is jacking up the car after I drop the engine/tranny out of the bottom. I believe that I can lower the engine using a hoist on to some kind of wheeled platform. However, I'm not sure how to go about getting the car up 3 feet or so using 2 or more jacks and some jackstands.

I don't think that I have to get the front up as high, but the rear has to clear the engine. And, I'm not sure where to place a jack and jackstand. There is a built up jacking point, but I obviously need one place for the jack, and one for the stand. I also think that I will need a little more height than the jacks or stands will provide.

I had thought of running a 4 x 4 or 6 x 6 under the jacking points, and using that. Then I could have more spots to choose from. I could also start sliding a solid base under the jacks and stands as I got to the final height.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I'm doing this mainly for the experience, but this part is driving me nuts. If I can't figure out a safe way to do it, I'll probably have to move this project down the road.

Thanks,

ford2go

See less See more
#2 ·
RE:Fiero-engine

Hi ok it seems like your alittle limited to tools, so may be try putting the engine and tranny on the floor and with the engine hoist lift the back end of the car up and over the engine, a good engine hoist can lift that car with ease, then pull ypur engine up into place, its a thought! TROY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.