Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Figuring out relay amp ratings?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2012, 09:12 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I was figuring a ballpark number for the small relays would be 15 amps (stupidly simple reason: they're half the size of the large ones so half max amp rating ), though I guess I can get a better look at the next ones I check out. As far as the large ones possibly being less than 30 amps I'm not sure, which is why I'm trying to figure it out. I know that my '00 Trans Am had these types of relays controlling everything including the fans (one fan could be run by one relay, but both fans on at the same time got their power from 3 relays in parallel), so they can probably handle anything I'd throw at them - but it's better to be sure depending on the situation.

T-Bucket - I had found that pdf earlier, but the problem is it seems to deal with the older style relays that used 1/4" blade terminals, not these newer style relays (at quick glance at least). Something like this would be excellent for the newer style, but I haven't found a manufacturer yet who supplies this info in an easily accessible location (Omron, Tyco, Siemens, Bosch, AC Delco, etc).