Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - file fit rings or std. rings
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2006, 12:43 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAIRB
I use total seal gapless ring sets on my top notch engines. I also use Speed Pro (Sealed Power), plasma moly sets that are non-file fit for certain engines.

For economy jobs and DIY type re re-ring jobs I've always used and recommended Hastings plain cast iron rings. They are the most forgiving when it comes to less than desirable cylider bores. They have alot of tension, and will conform and break in quickly and effectively. The downside to them is that they are not an ultra high mileage ring, and they are a little harder on the bores because of the tension that they have. I don't recommend that they be used with anything over a 280 grit finish. If the bore is finished with a 400 or finer grit, you need a moly type ring.

I've used alot of different types of rings with good success, so more than likely you'll be okay.

Your block is large at the bottom, which could cause some piston slap.

If you are going to go ahead with this engine, I would use cheap stuff just in case it doesn't work out, you're not out a bunch of dough on expensive parts.
Yea I think I'm going to use a hyperutectic piston,I have built alot of engines but you guys have got it down to a science,and when I find out the grit on the bore can you recommend a set of rings,Is the hone what actually puts the grit finish on the bore?