Hot Rod Forum banner

Fill crack in dash pad and steering wheel hole

4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  crownver 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Looking for a little advice on filling holes in a steering wheel and a dash pad.

The steering wheel is in good shape but had cruise control buttons in it which I've taken out. My thought is to fill the holes, perhaps with 2 part plastic bumper filler, paint it, and get a leather wrap for the rim. Not sure if that's the best filler. Wheel is made of a soft rubbery plastic and I'm not even sure if it can be painted with any success. I have the centre piece and will think of something to put in there, unless someone has any ideas. The wheel is the original steering wheel from the column I've installed in my 77 F100.

When I fill it should I bevel the sides of the hole with a sharp knife?

The dash pad is off a 77 F100 and is a pretty simple shape. My plan for it is to fill the crack and re-cover with vinyl. I'll cut back the crack until it's even with the rest (it's kind of raised along the edges of the crack) and fill, maybe with the 2 part filler again. I've read of guys using silicone, or household foam crack filler for this but not sure. Seems the silicone would be too soft, and the foam, well, it's for insulation. This seems like the cheapest way to repair the dash with a colour change and have it look good. I've heard the dash caps can look cheesy.

See less See more
#3 ·
The dash pad needs to have the crack filled and leveled and then apply a 1/8" layer of closed cell foam (brand name Volara) with top and trim contact adhesive, and then a new layer of vinyl.

Check out SEM products to fill and re-color the steering wheel:

SEM Products :: Home

#4 ·
Thanks Dan, I've used the SEM paints before and they worked well on a dash I did years ago. I'll check out our local auto paint shop to see if they have any of the fillers, but I won't hold my breath. I should be able to order on line somewhere. Do you think this would be best for the wheel?

I have no idea where I can get the closed cell foam for the dash. I was experimenting a few years ago after reading a book about upholstery, and finally found some thicker stuff in a larger town 100 miles away at an upholstery shop. They didn't call it Volara though. When you put the foam on does it stretch or do you have to piece it around compound curves?

Would I use the same filler for the dash, or should I use the bumper stuff I already have, or something else?

Thanks for the help!

#5 ·
That stuff should be perfect for both jobs, I would think. If you want to order SEM products online, check out this web site: leather repair, vinyl repair, recoloring, interior repair products Give them a call, they will help you.

Any upholstery shop should have Volara, or be able to get it, but you can order that online also: Gray Closed Cell Foam, Closed Cell, Foam, Black Closed Cell Foam, Gray Closed Cell Foam from Rochford Supply - Your Online Textile and Upholstery Superstore! This is just one place.

Closed cell foam is very firm, and a really tight curve you may need to piece and then scuff it smooth before you glue down the vinyl to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.