Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - fill holes or not?
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownver View Post
Thanks Ray. I'll definitely be painting the firewall.

So any thoughts on the brow? In the pic my thought is to cut on both sides of the masking tape, and slit across further back. Move the piece forward about 2" and patch the space.
Before you cut anything, I would ask if your planing any other body modifications to your truck? My opinion (and that's all it is is my opinion) is that all modifications should follow a type of theme. I enjoy subtle body modifications that, as you originally posted, make a person looking at the the vehicle think, there's something different about this 1977 Ford short box but, what exactly is it? A brow properly molded in making it look as though it may have been an option or one year only thing is great, if that's what you want and done tactfully with class and discrimination. It also needs to accentuate any other modification that your planning.

For example, today lowering a vehicle is all the rage...when done with the proper steering geometry, suspension alterations and all that goes with lowering of the vehicle and not impairing or hampering the drivability of the vehicle and for all intense and purposes improve the function of the vehicle for what it was built for....cornering, 1/4 mile racing or weekend cruising, then I applaud the builder for taking all into consideration. If a vehicle is lowered and the tires rub when turning or it can't be driven on the highway because the suspension won't allow for higher speed travel, well that is just a poor decision on the persons part that did the alterations. It's all about form and function and whenever I attempt any modification I try to keep in the back of my mind if I do this how will it affect the overall appearance and aesthetic flow of the vehicle.

Remember, when changing or modifying anything on the body, sometimes less is more. Take the time to picture the modification in your mind, if you have photo shop, (good job by the way evolvo, that's exactly what I'm talking about) use it to show you what it would look like or draw out the planned modification or modifications. I still do numerous renderings before I actually start cutting into a body because once you start changing your mind it can often be difficult, expensive and in some cases cause a builder to loose interest in the project. I'm picturing what I feel the modification would look like and I feel that it does have potential...modification is what Hot Rod Building is all about.

Just my thoughts.

Ray