fill holes or not? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 04:08 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Brian, I value your opinion and I am certainly not sure I should do this. Just finished welding in the last of my patch panels that I've had for 3-4 years, and I'm not sure I want to make more work. Still lots of other things to do.

Evolvo, that's pretty close to what I was thinking to do. Reason I thought to take an extra 1/2-3/4" out of the front was to lower the piece and make the back of it line up better slope-wise, and to thin out the forward edge a bit. But you're right. Better to try it and see how it looks before cutting. Maybe I'll spend some more time trying to mock it up before I cut, to see what it would look like. For some reason I can't seem to picture it. I'm usually pretty good with that. Mind block!

Ray, this truck is a teaching experience. Another one waits but at the speed I'm going I may not make it! It will be lower than stock but not on the ground. So far the only visible mod is blanking? out the tailgate and fabbing a roll pan. On the tailgate I formed an inset to put the "F100 Custom" badge in. That will be the only badging/chrome on the truck. The roll pan has a fold down license plate for the hitch receiver.

These trucks have always looked to me like a guy with a receding hair line so that's why I was thinking of doing this.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Seeing that you feel that these trucks look like a guy with a receding hairline, that I may need a brow up top to match my uni-brow just above my eyes...LOL.

As long as you will be working on vehicles, they will all be learning experiences...the mods you've made and are planning to make sound fine...and yes, don't cut until you can see in your minds eye what your planning on doing...very important...and another reason why I draw it out and or mock it up before I cut.

Ray
Old 03-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,137 Times in 1,007 Posts
Check out this thread I posted on a truck like yours. You don't need to make it different to make it better. Just make it better.

This my friends, is a "show car".

Brian
Old 03-13-2013, 04:57 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,291 Times in 1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Check out this thread I posted on a truck like yours. You don't need to make it different to make it better. Just make it better.

This my friends, is a "show car".

Brian
Wow, I love that. Talk about tastefully done...........John
Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

That is a beautiful truck Brian...and the your right, the attention to detail is what makes and sets that truck apart.

Ray
Old 03-13-2013, 06:03 PM

Last photo:

Wow! Meticulous truck. You're right about the patience thing. Something I sometimes run a little short of. Then go back later and regret that I hurried something, and maybe do it over again.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

Thanks guys. I guess I'll chew on things for a while. I'll post back pictures if I decide to do it and if the work is not too embarrassing.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Don't worry about any embarrassment. There are lots of guys here that are here to help and not judge.

All the best.

Ray
Old 03-14-2013, 01:27 PM

Last photo:

I have been lurking on this forum for some time now and I thought I would post once I started my body work, then I seen this thread.

It may sound strange but '73 - '79 ford pickups are my passion. I have owned one since I was 17 and to me they are one of the nicest trucks from 1960 on. I have had lots of people ask me "Why a '79 Ford F100?" Do you think sometime back in the day someone might have said "Why a Nova?"

I agree with '69 Widetrack when he said "I enjoy subtle body modifications that, as you originally posted, make a person looking at the the vehicle think, there's something different about this 1977 Ford short box but, what exactly is it?", that is my goal with my truck.

I like your idea and I have never seen it or even heard anyone even talk about something close to it. Done right I think it would look good.

I guess I better go to the introduction thread and introduce myself now.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:36 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin316 View Post
I have been lurking on this forum for some time now and I thought I would post once I started my body work, then I seen this thread.

It may sound strange but '73 - '79 ford pickups are my passion. I have owned one since I was 17 and to me they are one of the nicest trucks from 1960 on. I have had lots of people ask me "Why a '79 Ford F100?" Do you think sometime back in the day someone might have said "Why a Nova?"

I agree with '69 Widetrack when he said "I enjoy subtle body modifications that, as you originally posted, make a person looking at the the vehicle think, there's something different about this 1977 Ford short box but, what exactly is it?", that is my goal with my truck.

I like your idea and I have never seen it or even heard anyone even talk about something close to it. Done right I think it would look good.

I guess I better go to the introduction thread and introduce myself now.
There is nothing odd about your passion being a 79 Ford truck, ESPECIALLY being you have had one since you were 17, your first "car"? HECK YES that makes all the difference in the world. And I know we all made some comments about it not being "worthy" in that show car thread but really, it's all an opinion and there was a time people thought I was nuts for doing my 48 Chevy pickup. I was literally turned away at rod runs because it was "too new". It is miles from the most desirable vehicle and I have a lot of passion for it too.

Ray's comment about people looking at it wondering what was done.... I think the key is that they are looking at it wondering "Man that looks good but I can't figure out why". There are many ways to customize and I love the car that is so heavily modified it barely looks like the original all the way to the very mild custom that you have to study the stocker next to it to know what was done, you know what I mean?

But I love the "What in the heck was done to this thing to make it look so good?" That truck on the other thread that I posted was one of those vehicles, subtle is an understatement with that truck! And I LOVED it!

Brian
Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I agree! I think it would look really cool. The first way I thought of doing it wouldn't work though. The side edge of the roof has a sharpish bend in it that would have to be carried forward in a straight line, so I couldn't slice a piece out of the front to bring it down to keep the slope the same. So by just cutting and moving the piece forward would have the top surface of both roof and piece on different slopes. Not sure how to fix that. I've seen in magazines when the chop a top they make slits to change the slope, but now its getting scary difficult. I also can't find a close-up of a '56 to see how much the roof comes forward from the top of the windshield. If anyone knows I'd appreciate an answer!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:33 AM

Last photo:

LOL, I literally raise my eyes above my keyboard looking thru a window at a 56 Ford truck roof. I'll post more if you like.

Brian

Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 AM

Last photo:

Old 03-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownver View Post
This truck is a '77 Ford F100 shortbox. Nothing special, right? So, as I said I'm using it to practice, and to have some fun.

I had an idea for the truck that may be dumb. You know how the '56 Ford trucks had that eyebrow, peak, whatever you want to call it? Was thinking of doing that to this truck. Just not sure how it would look. Tried to mock it up last night with some 1/2" flat bar and construction paper but that didn't work.

One way I thought of doing it was to slice just above where the rubber goes along the top of the windshield, and then across the roof about 6" back, and move that piece forward a couple of inches. Maybe take an extra slice off to drop it a bit. Just don't know how to figure where the second cut should be to keep the slope similar. Also concerned about welding across the roof without warping the roof badly.

Any ideas, opinions?
You know I was thinking about what you said, about your 1977 Ford truck not being anything special and you referenced a 56 Ford for some of the modifications that you where planning on. Well I got my driver's license bock in 1971 and was looking for old cars for a few years before that. When I was 14 owned a 54 Chevy, when I was 15 I bought a 56 Chevy 2 door post, these cars where 17 and 15 years old at the time, that would be like somebody Hot Rodding a 96, or 98 Chevy Impala...."Crownver", your truck is 36 years old, a 36 year old Ford truck when I was younger at 16 would have been a 1935 Ford. Sure they made a lot more 77's than 35's but, putting everything in prospective...You may not think it special but, as Brian pointed out with the Photos of the "Show Truck", with passion and attention to detail it certainly can be...just like a 35 Ford would have been back in 71 and if the truck is kept in good shape, how will it be looked upon 30, 35 years from now? What we discount today, we often regret later.

Just something that I thought about last night before I signed off.

Ray
Old 03-15-2013, 12:30 PM

Last photo:

Ray, I have thought the exact same thing. My 48 Chevy was 27 when I got it, that is a 1986 Chevy pickup today. Wow how time flies! Back when I was a kid I never in a million years imagined that I would walk over and look at a Pinto, a restored Pinto at a car show, but I have!

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.