Hot Rod Forum banner

fill holes or not?

4K views 37 replies 5 participants last post by  crownver 
#1 ·
Maybe a dumb question, but is there any reason NOT to fill the stock holes in the body that are plugged at the factory with plastic plugs? Specifically, extra holes in the floor and firewall. Thanks for any response.

#2 ·
Interesting question, I don't see a reason to fill them, but is there a reason not to? I don't have an answer I believe they are mostly used in the construction process at the factory but I can see them being useful for just access to clean out debris or to spray cavity wax or what not. It's like I say, why not just leave them, they aren't hurting anyone. :D

Brian

#3 ·
To me I'd ask what your building, many times people smooth out firewalls for a clean custom look, if your going for originality leave the holes and plug them up with the stock plugs, if your going for that custom clean look weld them up and keep the holes you need or weld them all up and put the holes where they will do your build the most good. It'a a matter of choice and what your doing.

Ray

#4 ·
This is very true Ray, I was thinking of only ones you would find in the floor or rockers that sort of thing.:rolleyes: But there are piles of holes used in the fire wall or dash or something like that for options or for wires that you don't plan on running thru there or something like that, fill them if you want for a smoother look.

Brian

#5 ·
Thanks for your input guys.

I actually meant the holes in the firewall and floor of a truck cab. Missing a couple of the plugs too, so probably easier to fill them rather than try to hunt down the proper plugs. This truck is not going back to original for sure.

Started it as a practice project to improve my skills a number of years ago, but it has turned in to an epic, as other things keep getting in the way of working on it. I seem to get a month or 2 of steady work on it, then something else comes up that uses up my time for months. Just spent 4 days building a low fence out of rectangular and square tubing to go around my son's wood stove. They have a new baby, Ryder, that's just starting to crawl.

Should probably start a new thread, but while I have your attention, I'll ask another question. This truck is a '77 Ford F100 shortbox. Nothing special, right? So, as I said I'm using it to practice, and to have some fun.

I had an idea for the truck that may be dumb. You know how the '56 Ford trucks had that eyebrow, peak, whatever you want to call it? Was thinking of doing that to this truck. Just not sure how it would look. Tried to mock it up last night with some 1/2" flat bar and construction paper but that didn't work.

One way I thought of doing it was to slice just above where the rubber goes along the top of the windshield, and then across the roof about 6" back, and move that piece forward a couple of inches. Maybe take an extra slice off to drop it a bit. Just don't know how to figure where the second cut should be to keep the slope similar. Also concerned about welding across the roof without warping the roof badly.

Any ideas, opinions?

#7 ·
Thanks for your input guys.

I actually meant the holes in the firewall and floor of a truck cab. Missing a couple of the plugs too, so probably easier to fill them rather than try to hunt down the proper plugs. This truck is not going back to original for sure.

Started it as a practice project to improve my skills a number of years ago, but it has turned in to an epic, as other things keep getting in the way of working on it. I seem to get a month or 2 of steady work on it, then something else comes up that uses up my time for months. Just spent 4 days building a low fence out of rectangular and square tubing to go around my son's wood stove. They have a new baby, Ryder, that's just starting to crawl.

Should probably start a new thread, but while I have your attention, I'll ask another question. This truck is a '77 Ford F100 shortbox. Nothing special, right? So, as I said I'm using it to practice, and to have some fun.

I had an idea for the truck that may be dumb. You know how the '56 Ford trucks had that eyebrow, peak, whatever you want to call it? Was thinking of doing that to this truck. Just not sure how it would look. Tried to mock it up last night with some 1/2" flat bar and construction paper but that didn't work.

One way I thought of doing it was to slice just above where the rubber goes along the top of the windshield, and then across the roof about 6" back, and move that piece forward a couple of inches. Maybe take an extra slice off to drop it a bit. Just don't know how to figure where the second cut should be to keep the slope similar. Also concerned about welding across the roof without warping the roof badly.

Any ideas, opinions?[/QUOT

I'm glad you explained further, I think your talking about a visor, eye brows are usually above the headlights...and a 77 short box, in my opinion, wouldn't take well to that "Groucho Marx" look...LOL.

If I'm correct, they make all the plugs and whatever you may need for your firewall and floor boards in the aftermarket, so it would save you a lot of time by just ordering them. The same should be true about the visor, maybe order a catalog or check on line...if nothing else it would give you ideas on how to build one out of metal, the aftermarket visors are usually fiberglass.

Ray

#13 ·
Before you cut anything, I would ask if your planing any other body modifications to your truck? My opinion (and that's all it is is my opinion) is that all modifications should follow a type of theme. I enjoy subtle body modifications that, as you originally posted, make a person looking at the the vehicle think, there's something different about this 1977 Ford short box but, what exactly is it? A brow properly molded in making it look as though it may have been an option or one year only thing is great, if that's what you want and done tactfully with class and discrimination. It also needs to accentuate any other modification that your planning.

For example, today lowering a vehicle is all the rage...when done with the proper steering geometry, suspension alterations and all that goes with lowering of the vehicle and not impairing or hampering the drivability of the vehicle and for all intense and purposes improve the function of the vehicle for what it was built for....cornering, 1/4 mile racing or weekend cruising, then I applaud the builder for taking all into consideration. If a vehicle is lowered and the tires rub when turning or it can't be driven on the highway because the suspension won't allow for higher speed travel, well that is just a poor decision on the persons part that did the alterations. It's all about form and function and whenever I attempt any modification I try to keep in the back of my mind if I do this how will it affect the overall appearance and aesthetic flow of the vehicle.

Remember, when changing or modifying anything on the body, sometimes less is more. Take the time to picture the modification in your mind, if you have photo shop, (good job by the way evolvo, that's exactly what I'm talking about) use it to show you what it would look like or draw out the planned modification or modifications. I still do numerous renderings before I actually start cutting into a body because once you start changing your mind it can often be difficult, expensive and in some cases cause a builder to loose interest in the project. I'm picturing what I feel the modification would look like and I feel that it does have potential...modification is what Hot Rod Building is all about.

Just my thoughts.

Ray

#12 ·
We are talking personal opinion here, I wouldn't do it. I don't think it would improve the looks of the truck, only make it different and that isn't a good reason to do it. Again, this is my personal opinion.

Brian

#14 ·
Brian, I value your opinion and I am certainly not sure I should do this. Just finished welding in the last of my patch panels that I've had for 3-4 years, and I'm not sure I want to make more work. Still lots of other things to do.

Evolvo, that's pretty close to what I was thinking to do. Reason I thought to take an extra 1/2-3/4" out of the front was to lower the piece and make the back of it line up better slope-wise, and to thin out the forward edge a bit. But you're right. Better to try it and see how it looks before cutting. Maybe I'll spend some more time trying to mock it up before I cut, to see what it would look like. For some reason I can't seem to picture it. I'm usually pretty good with that. Mind block!

Ray, this truck is a teaching experience. Another one waits but at the speed I'm going I may not make it! It will be lower than stock but not on the ground. So far the only visible mod is blanking? out the tailgate and fabbing a roll pan. On the tailgate I formed an inset to put the "F100 Custom" badge in. That will be the only badging/chrome on the truck. The roll pan has a fold down license plate for the hitch receiver.

These trucks have always looked to me like a guy with a receding hair line so that's why I was thinking of doing this.

#15 ·
Seeing that you feel that these trucks look like a guy with a receding hairline, that I may need a brow up top to match my uni-brow just above my eyes...LOL.

As long as you will be working on vehicles, they will all be learning experiences...the mods you've made and are planning to make sound fine...and yes, don't cut until you can see in your minds eye what your planning on doing...very important...and another reason why I draw it out and or mock it up before I cut.

Ray

#22 ·
I have been lurking on this forum for some time now and I thought I would post once I started my body work, then I seen this thread.

It may sound strange but '73 - '79 ford pickups are my passion. I have owned one since I was 17 and to me they are one of the nicest trucks from 1960 on. I have had lots of people ask me "Why a '79 Ford F100?" Do you think sometime back in the day someone might have said "Why a Nova?"

I agree with '69 Widetrack when he said "I enjoy subtle body modifications that, as you originally posted, make a person looking at the the vehicle think, there's something different about this 1977 Ford short box but, what exactly is it?", that is my goal with my truck.

I like your idea and I have never seen it or even heard anyone even talk about something close to it. Done right I think it would look good.

I guess I better go to the introduction thread and introduce myself now.

#23 ·
There is nothing odd about your passion being a 79 Ford truck, ESPECIALLY being you have had one since you were 17, your first "car"? HECK YES that makes all the difference in the world. And I know we all made some comments about it not being "worthy" in that show car thread but really, it's all an opinion and there was a time people thought I was nuts for doing my 48 Chevy pickup. I was literally turned away at rod runs because it was "too new". It is miles from the most desirable vehicle and I have a lot of passion for it too.

Ray's comment about people looking at it wondering what was done.... I think the key is that they are looking at it wondering "Man that looks good but I can't figure out why". :mwink: There are many ways to customize and I love the car that is so heavily modified it barely looks like the original all the way to the very mild custom that you have to study the stocker next to it to know what was done, you know what I mean?

But I love the "What in the heck was done to this thing to make it look so good?" That truck on the other thread that I posted was one of those vehicles, subtle is an understatement with that truck! And I LOVED it!

Brian

#24 ·
I like your idea and I have never seen it or even heard anyone even talk about something close to it. Done right I think it would look good.
I agree! I think it would look really cool. The first way I thought of doing it wouldn't work though. The side edge of the roof has a sharpish bend in it that would have to be carried forward in a straight line, so I couldn't slice a piece out of the front to bring it down to keep the slope the same. So by just cutting and moving the piece forward would have the top surface of both roof and piece on different slopes. Not sure how to fix that. I've seen in magazines when the chop a top they make slits to change the slope, but now its getting scary difficult. I also can't find a close-up of a '56 to see how much the roof comes forward from the top of the windshield. If anyone knows I'd appreciate an answer!

#28 ·
Ray, I have thought the exact same thing. :D My 48 Chevy was 27 when I got it, that is a 1986 Chevy pickup today. Wow how time flies! Back when I was a kid I never in a million years imagined that I would walk over and look at a Pinto, a restored Pinto at a car show, but I have!

Brian

#29 ·
Yes Brain, we do think alike...I think that was evident from some of our early posts when we where gently arguing only to find out we where talking about the same thing...LOL.

I wanted my first real car (the 54 Chevy was not a real car and not that my 56 Chevy wasn't a real car, or a 37 Chevy 1/2 ton I bought when I was 17 wasn't a real truck...but a driver) to be an AMC AMX...The guy I bought my 54 Chevy from owned a 68 Pontiac OHC 6cy...loved it and a 1968 AMX 290 4 speed. I wanted that AMX, he wouldn't sell it...so I drove to Winnipeg and bought a 67 FIrebird...but always wanted an AMX. Everybody told me I was crazy.

In 1991 I found my car, a 1969 AMX, 390 Speed with just under 40,000 miles and mint. I still have that car today, it still doesn't have 40,000 miles, not because I don't enjoy driving it, I do, I just like the fact that it has under 40,000 miles and when I but miles on it I can't take those back...It's my pride and joy and the people that thought I was crazy back in the day, love to see that 69. I've been fortunate enough to purchase the two other years of AMX (anything after 1970 I don't consider an AMX, 4 seater and all...maybe I need to rethink that...LOL) 1968 and 1970, I drive these cars much more, they had high mileage, had previous work done and a car is original only once.

I get as much pleasure out of knowing I have a low mile piece of what I wanted in my past as I do driving it. Let me take that back...I do enjoy driving it more than looking at it...but like I said, they are only original once.

Ray

#30 ·
Martinsr, thanks for posting those pics! Looks to be a couple of inches is all the roof extends. If I decide to do this I think I will have to make the cross roof cut back quite a ways on the flat part of the roof, to avoid different slopes on the pieces, which makes the chance of major warping a good possibility, especially with my so-so welding skills. Any other options there that you guys see?

I have a couple of years on you guys. My first car was a '53 Ford. It was only 13 years old when I had it, but in those days it seemed old. In those days cars didn't last as long as they do today I think, so a 15 year old car was a rarity. Plus, they changed the body styles more frequently, even pickups. I had a '54 Ford pick up. That style was around for 3 years, plus the '56 which was a little different but shared many body parts. The '77 body style I have now was around for 7 years, plus the 67-72 were again similar but a little different is another 6 years.

#31 ·
Other than making a new piece to extend out and cut off the skin welding it to it, there is another way. Go out to the wreckers and get another roof. Cut the skin off the roof straight across about 9 inches back from the front, then cut yours off about 6 inches from the front and weld longer piece on. This is a quick explaination, it won't be that easy as it will take som re-shaping and drilling it out of the gutter and such but basically that is it.

Brian

#32 ·
If I can just add to what Brian just mentioned (Martinsr, as I now realize that you guys are both named Brian), if your going to go to wrecking yard, take the whole roof, including about 6 inches of the a Pillar and maybe a little less of the B Pillar (often the front windshield's are out and the rear windshield is still in the truck, if the rear windshield is out, take the full 6 inches of the B Pillar. That way you can take it home, take your time, make all the cuts you want and be in no hurry.

Just my thoughts.

Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.