fill holes or not? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2013, 12:46 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

fill holes or not?

Maybe a dumb question, but is there any reason NOT to fill the stock holes in the body that are plugged at the factory with plastic plugs? Specifically, extra holes in the floor and firewall. Thanks for any response.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
Interesting question, I don't see a reason to fill them, but is there a reason not to? I don't have an answer I believe they are mostly used in the construction process at the factory but I can see them being useful for just access to clean out debris or to spray cavity wax or what not. It's like I say, why not just leave them, they aren't hurting anyone.

Brian
Old 03-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

To me I'd ask what your building, many times people smooth out firewalls for a clean custom look, if your going for originality leave the holes and plug them up with the stock plugs, if your going for that custom clean look weld them up and keep the holes you need or weld them all up and put the holes where they will do your build the most good. It'a a matter of choice and what your doing.

Ray
Old 03-13-2013, 11:13 AM

Last photo:

This is very true Ray, I was thinking of only ones you would find in the floor or rockers that sort of thing. But there are piles of holes used in the fire wall or dash or something like that for options or for wires that you don't plan on running thru there or something like that, fill them if you want for a smoother look.

Brian
Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for your input guys.

I actually meant the holes in the firewall and floor of a truck cab. Missing a couple of the plugs too, so probably easier to fill them rather than try to hunt down the proper plugs. This truck is not going back to original for sure.

Started it as a practice project to improve my skills a number of years ago, but it has turned in to an epic, as other things keep getting in the way of working on it. I seem to get a month or 2 of steady work on it, then something else comes up that uses up my time for months. Just spent 4 days building a low fence out of rectangular and square tubing to go around my son's wood stove. They have a new baby, Ryder, that's just starting to crawl.

Should probably start a new thread, but while I have your attention, I'll ask another question. This truck is a '77 Ford F100 shortbox. Nothing special, right? So, as I said I'm using it to practice, and to have some fun.

I had an idea for the truck that may be dumb. You know how the '56 Ford trucks had that eyebrow, peak, whatever you want to call it? Was thinking of doing that to this truck. Just not sure how it would look. Tried to mock it up last night with some 1/2" flat bar and construction paper but that didn't work.

One way I thought of doing it was to slice just above where the rubber goes along the top of the windshield, and then across the roof about 6" back, and move that piece forward a couple of inches. Maybe take an extra slice off to drop it a bit. Just don't know how to figure where the second cut should be to keep the slope similar. Also concerned about welding across the roof without warping the roof badly.

Any ideas, opinions?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 PM

Last photo:

I'm sorry what make model and year is the truck?

Brian
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

[QUOTE=crownver;1656451]Thanks for your input guys.

I actually meant the holes in the firewall and floor of a truck cab. Missing a couple of the plugs too, so probably easier to fill them rather than try to hunt down the proper plugs. This truck is not going back to original for sure.

Started it as a practice project to improve my skills a number of years ago, but it has turned in to an epic, as other things keep getting in the way of working on it. I seem to get a month or 2 of steady work on it, then something else comes up that uses up my time for months. Just spent 4 days building a low fence out of rectangular and square tubing to go around my son's wood stove. They have a new baby, Ryder, that's just starting to crawl.

Should probably start a new thread, but while I have your attention, I'll ask another question. This truck is a '77 Ford F100 shortbox. Nothing special, right? So, as I said I'm using it to practice, and to have some fun.

I had an idea for the truck that may be dumb. You know how the '56 Ford trucks had that eyebrow, peak, whatever you want to call it? Was thinking of doing that to this truck. Just not sure how it would look. Tried to mock it up last night with some 1/2" flat bar and construction paper but that didn't work.

One way I thought of doing it was to slice just above where the rubber goes along the top of the windshield, and then across the roof about 6" back, and move that piece forward a couple of inches. Maybe take an extra slice off to drop it a bit. Just don't know how to figure where the second cut should be to keep the slope similar. Also concerned about welding across the roof without warping the roof badly.

Any ideas, opinions?[/QUOT

I'm glad you explained further, I think your talking about a visor, eye brows are usually above the headlights...and a 77 short box, in my opinion, wouldn't take well to that "Groucho Marx" look...LOL.

If I'm correct, they make all the plugs and whatever you may need for your firewall and floor boards in the aftermarket, so it would save you a lot of time by just ordering them. The same should be true about the visor, maybe order a catalog or check on line...if nothing else it would give you ideas on how to build one out of metal, the aftermarket visors are usually fiberglass.

Ray
Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

I think he's talking about the built in "furrowed brow" over the windshield.
Like this:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...NPjcPBdc4uuww8

And how would that look would transfer to this truck?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...xpMSNnxCw0X45g
Old 03-13-2013, 01:32 PM

Last photo:

Exactly Evolvo! Wish I could do photoshop. Just thought it might turn a run-of-the-mill truck into something people would look at and say "what's different about that truck?" Kind of a subtle change.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:35 PM

Last photo:

Ray, thanks for your input!

Guys, if I do go with the plastic plugs, do I use sealer of some kind on them when I put them back in?
Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

You could use a silicone sealer, that would protect the pieces from getting any water coming through a 36 year old hole in the fire wall or the floor...use a paintable silicone...just in case you want to paint the firewall at some point.

Ray.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:14 PM

Last photo:

Thanks Ray. I'll definitely be painting the firewall.

So any thoughts on the brow? In the pic my thought is to cut on both sides of the masking tape, and slit across further back. Move the piece forward about 2" and patch the space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck 1 (Small).JPG
Views:	43
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	72271   Click image for larger version

Name:	truck 2 (Small).JPG
Views:	45
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	72272  
Old 03-13-2013, 02:47 PM

Last photo:

We are talking personal opinion here, I wouldn't do it. I don't think it would improve the looks of the truck, only make it different and that isn't a good reason to do it. Again, this is my personal opinion.

Brian
Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Heathen

Last photo:

I think I would strike a line from the forward end of the driver door rain gutter across the top to the same spot on the pass door and then follow around the front of the windshield, about an 1/8" to 1/4" above the frame. Cut the lines and slide this section forward to where it looks right and start figuring out how to fill in the missing sheetmetal.
Of course I've never done anything like this. Maybe others will chime in?
Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownver View Post
Thanks Ray. I'll definitely be painting the firewall.

So any thoughts on the brow? In the pic my thought is to cut on both sides of the masking tape, and slit across further back. Move the piece forward about 2" and patch the space.
Before you cut anything, I would ask if your planing any other body modifications to your truck? My opinion (and that's all it is is my opinion) is that all modifications should follow a type of theme. I enjoy subtle body modifications that, as you originally posted, make a person looking at the the vehicle think, there's something different about this 1977 Ford short box but, what exactly is it? A brow properly molded in making it look as though it may have been an option or one year only thing is great, if that's what you want and done tactfully with class and discrimination. It also needs to accentuate any other modification that your planning.

For example, today lowering a vehicle is all the rage...when done with the proper steering geometry, suspension alterations and all that goes with lowering of the vehicle and not impairing or hampering the drivability of the vehicle and for all intense and purposes improve the function of the vehicle for what it was built for....cornering, 1/4 mile racing or weekend cruising, then I applaud the builder for taking all into consideration. If a vehicle is lowered and the tires rub when turning or it can't be driven on the highway because the suspension won't allow for higher speed travel, well that is just a poor decision on the persons part that did the alterations. It's all about form and function and whenever I attempt any modification I try to keep in the back of my mind if I do this how will it affect the overall appearance and aesthetic flow of the vehicle.

Remember, when changing or modifying anything on the body, sometimes less is more. Take the time to picture the modification in your mind, if you have photo shop, (good job by the way evolvo, that's exactly what I'm talking about) use it to show you what it would look like or draw out the planned modification or modifications. I still do numerous renderings before I actually start cutting into a body because once you start changing your mind it can often be difficult, expensive and in some cases cause a builder to loose interest in the project. I'm picturing what I feel the modification would look like and I feel that it does have potential...modification is what Hot Rod Building is all about.

Just my thoughts.

Ray

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.