To fill or not to fill up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 08:35 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

To fill or not to fill up

I was told years ago never to fill up at a gas station that was filling up their tanks. Is this true. I was told it stirs up all the junk in the in ground tanks. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 AM

Last photo:

Look at the size of the hose going from the tanker to the underground tank. do you think there is a possibility that hundreds of gallons of gas going into the stations storage tank could stir some crud up? I do.

I know they put filters on the gas pumps at the station. So there is a system in place to catch the crud. there is also a possibility the tanker just left the station ten or two minutes before you got there.

But if you do not need gas, why risk it?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

In the overall scheme of things this is not one of my concerns..Just get gas from a heavy pumper and you are fine..

Sam
Old 07-03-2012, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

I owned/operated a Gulf gas station in the early seventies.. Had small tanks compared to todays monsters.
The delivery truck used to stir up some terrible looking bottom crud!!
Old 07-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Last photo:

Bob....in stating that, how often if ever do they....the owners or the gas industry ...Shell, Chevron, Sinclair etc. pump out and actually clean all the debris out of the tanks? Are they mandated by state or federal to do so every 5 yrs. or so or does it just keeping collecting and hopefully caught by the filters?
Old 07-04-2012, 12:45 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

I keep going down to enlarge my post out of habit instead of the two invisible arrows in the right upper corner and send them before Im ready sorry about that,still getting used to the upgrades!!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 07-04-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:47 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

I don't think there is a law requiring tank cleaning. It would more than likely be whether the fuel can be certified to sell when tested. If it don't pass a certification test, tank cleaning may need to be done by the station owner so the gas is legal to sell.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: 360 mopar
Last photo:

Stations now may have their big signs that say Gulf or speedway or Sunoco ,But they don't have to sell that gas only have their oil products on their shelves! We have Blodget oil , and Coyn oil filling all the tanks around here in all the different named gas stations out of the same trucks on the same days! The last actual Co truck I saw in this area was Clark and that was about 10 years ago! That station is now an imperial and is filled by Blodget oil co and Blodget bids on fuel and get it from any refiner or supplier

We used to stick our tanks to check on the water levels in the tanks and have the water pumped out! There is a safety margin bellow the pick up! and if there is no water, there is unsalable gas in this safety margin! Now when a station sells all their gas and their down to the bottom and want that hidden gas trapped in the safety margin, owners pump water in to raise the gas level so the pump can pick it up and leave the water at that level! A reputable dealer or owner wont do this, but you never know who the ones are that do So when new gas is added it stirs up the crap on the bottom and it takes time to settle

There is no more regulation on octane either. the octane rating on the pump isnt factual to what your pumping! The government used to check octane and put Government inspection stickers on the pumps that the octane was tested and when, and is up to snuff ! Deregulation stopped this practice the only thing that's tested now is the money per gallon count on the meter!! and you cant trust that either. You ever hit the trigger on the pump and the split second before the pump kicks on the meter count jumps to 10 cents or over LOL! Thats an extra ten cents per car doesn't sound like much but it adds up!

I dont know if other states are like michigan but as for government regulation Im sure they are!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 07-04-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT View Post
Bob....in stating that, how often if ever do they....the owners or the gas industry ...Shell, Chevron, Sinclair etc. pump out and actually clean all the debris out of the tanks? Are they mandated by state or federal to do so every 5 yrs. or so or does it just keeping collecting and hopefully caught by the filters?
Actually the operator Is supposed to stick the tanks and when water reaches a certain level the tanks are pumped to the bottom and fresh fuel is put in the tank..Does not happen too often we hope but we did do that when we needed to..The fuel that was pumped out went back to be filtered and processed and put back in the dist system..

Sam
Old 07-04-2012, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
Actually the operator Is supposed to stick the tanks and when water reaches a certain level the tanks are pumped to the bottom and fresh fuel is put in the tank..Does not happen too often we hope but we did do that when we needed to..The fuel that was pumped out went back to be filtered and processed and put back in the dist system..

Sam
Back in the seventies we didn't have the Fed and state regulations. Used to "stick" the tanks and check for water..

Gulf oil was my only supplier, by contract, back then.. Totally different now.. All maintainence was up to owner

Station was removed about 12 years after I sold it.. Premium tank was leaking underground..

Citgo is the only supplier around here that demands total controll of your tanks.. Marathon and Sunoco are the biggest area shippers..
Old 07-04-2012, 06:09 PM

That turned out to be extremely informative for me thanks for all the responses. I learned a lot from what I thought was a silly thread I started. I do notice a difference in gas mileage from tank full to tank full if I am traveling so now I know why.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigblockragtop View Post
That turned out to be extremely informative for me thanks for all the responses. I learned a lot from what I thought was a silly thread I started. I do notice a difference in gas mileage from tank full to tank full if I am traveling so now I know why.
You and me both! HOLY COW now I don't want to go to a gas station at all!

Brian
Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 PM

I've worked for 2 major oil co. and know for a fact that nothing that Jester said is true around here. Each oil co has there own addative package that is required by law. You cannot mix water with todays gas because of the alcohol content.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
There is no more regulation on octane either. the octane rating on the pump isnt factual to what your pumping! The government used to check octane and put Government inspection stickers on the pumps that the octane was tested and when, and is up to snuff ! Jester
You are right, I remember seeing those stickers and I don't think they are there anymore!

Brian
Old 07-04-2012, 07:59 PM

Boy that would really stink if you think you are getting 93 and actually getting 87. It could cost you an engine I would think.

Tags
fuel, fuel quality

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.