Filler over epoxy or Epoxy over filler? Here is some good info - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: What would you do?
I would use filler to bare metal then epoxy primer. 16 25.00%
I would epoxy primer to bare metal then use filler 48 75.00%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 08:17 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Since the epoxy primer I use IS self etching I assume you are talking about acid primers like variprlme by dupont.
Comparing acid primer to epoxy is like comparing lacquer primer to urethane.
theres still a few dinos that still use lacquer and acid primers.. but pretty much everyone knows this especially the pros,that's probably why the question was about EPOXY under or over the filler...
Since filler sticks equally well to metal as it does to epoxy its not really a question of adhesion (BTW the test is total BS) but which way is best...and why...
On a resto you would epoxy the bare metal first then everything is protected,the filler should go over the epoxy then after sanding ,epoxy over that (like an epoxy sandwich).
Think about it......If you have a car in bare metal and your doing filler work, your hands will be all over the bare metal your sweaty shirt will be rubbing over it too,theres oils and salts in your hands that'll contaminate the metal surface INSTANTLY thats why we use surgical gloves when prepping metal . I've seen good paint jobs get ruined from hand prints on bare metal and W&G wont help so using gloves is important .Also ,when doing the filler work you'll be sweating and dripping it all over the surface too, small amounts of oil can be blowing out of your air tools,etc.....doesn't it make sense to apply the epoxy first ?????? and why would anyone waste money buying (acid) etch primer then have to sand it all back off again everywhere you need filler....it has almost no protection qualities either ,just set a car outside with only acid etch primer on it and it'll start rusting within a few days. Do the same thing with epoxy and it'll be fine years later...
Theres nothing better than epoxy primer (although some are better than others) and it just makes good sense to epoxy first then do the filler work

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

and for the record polyester fillers were no "invented" in the 70's. try the 50's .
Old 10-16-2011, 09:28 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

LOL,I forgot to mention that..but that crap wasn't very good either back then........from what I hear....a little before my time....
something else I forgot is some of these epoxy primers today are sandable and buildable so if you have time to let them cure theres no need for any other primer....Some even have UV protection so if you like the semi gloss,hotrod black look you dont even need paint ,they dont fade out.

Last edited by deadbodyman; 10-16-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Is there an echo here from many previous discussions on this subject ?

What it ends up being after many posts - you do what's normal for you. I do epoxy/filler/epoxy. Is it right? It is for me

Dave W

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.