Filler Over Guide Coat? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2006, 10:14 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Filler Over Guide Coat?

I epoxy primered my car with PPG DP, found some imperfections using spray (SEM 38203) guide coat. I know everyone here likes the powder, but what's done is done. I sanded the panels to bare metal, cleaned thoroughly with alcohol and skimmed the area, no rust on the surface.

My question is, am I alright filling over the remaining guide coat - will the filler stick? There are traces of it on the panel and the low areas have guide coat in them.

Thanks, Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2006, 11:00 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I'm confused, how could there be guide coat if you have sanded down to bare metal?

I personally remove ALL guide coat prior to applying anything over it. If you don't you will only see it later when sanding and confuse you.

Brian
Old 06-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

I meant that I had taken it to bare metal, guide coated and located high/low spots. Can filler be applied over any remaining guide coat.

You pretty much answered with your preference, I've already recoated the affected areas and preparing to finish sand them! Is that a definite no-no; do I need to remove the filler and go again from scratch? I assumed the guide coat remaining in low areas stayed so that I could ensure I relocated them during filiing.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

It isn't a big deal that you applied something over the guide coat, it is after all a learning experiance. If you are aware of this and when you are sanding take that into account when you see it, not a problem.

It is much easier if you block out and then hand sand the remaining guide coat so you apply what ever it is your are going to next and not burying guide coat to confuse you later.

Brian
Old 06-17-2006, 01:23 PM
... & Insanity Ensues .....

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

ive done similar before, and it worked out fine

i also once managed to spray a guide coat on wet primer ... took me 10 minutes to convince my coworker that the black was sprayed on while the panel was wet, and that after it was dry i used some red spray pant as my guidecoat for sanding .... the black made it look like there was a massive dent in the middle of the primer

both worked out fine, the one done wet was the prez's wifes van, saw it many times and it never showed any probs

also done many mirrors with spray paint and 2001 clear, some of which i had to use ppg base over the spray paint because the spray paint color was waaaay off ... only prob i ever had was the clear blushing because it was a horribly humid day .... but thats a clear problem ...
Old 06-17-2006, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

Larry, Don't put bodyfillers over spray can guide coat, sand any guidecoat off the metal before you skim coat the area. When you skim and sand any uneeded filler will be removed during the sanding process. Body filler can be applied directly to your DP epoxy primer so there's no need to remove the primer if you find areas that need attention, in fact filler over epoxy is much better than directly applied to bare metal.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.