Filling 1/8" trim screw holes. Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Filling 1/8" trim screw holes. Question

I want to do away with the rocker moldings on a car I am about to repaint.

I have neither the equipment or the knowledge to weld these holes closed.

What are alternative solutions?

would JB weld work?

I have been toying with the idea of using a screw and ginding it down flush then skim over with good filler. Possible? Or would it come back to bite me in the butt later?

Thanks for your expert opinion!

Andy

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,038 Posts
Andy, there is no way to make a permanent repair of this nature unless you can block any moisture from getting to the rear of the panel and migrating through. this is almost impossible with a rocker panel that will have moisture and a certain amount of rust in it. I highly recommend you find someone who can weld those small wholes up. You will be glad you did in the long run.

John L
Old 04-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Even for a garage queen that never sees rain or even a car wash? Just wondering is all...

I'm sure it wouldn't cost too much to get them welded shut.

Andy
Old 04-19-2012, 07:16 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

I wouldn't do it myself Andy. There is way too much work involved in painting a car not do it in such a way that insurers long term success. It has been done many times but far too often will come back to haunt you. Especialy with a blind panel that you can't clean and paint the back side of. IMHO.

John L
Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Heathen

Last photo:

I just used some of this product, http://www.lord.com/Products-And-Sol...r-Products.xml, to fill the rain gutters on my car. It's amazing stuff. You might contact them and see if they can suggest something that might work. Warning: $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 PM

Last journal entry: rust on lt body shell
Last photo:

fusor makes a good product but I dont think they have anything to do what your tring to do. How many holes do you have to fill? If just a couple you could maybe tap them in and dura glass. Not the best way but has been done. The fact that their small helps. Best is to weld holes.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:23 PM

Last photo:

Clean the area around each hole and tap them in a little, then weld each shut with a stud welder. Cut the studs down and grind flush. Check Harbor Freight for an 'autobody stud welder', around $100.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldBodyman
Clean the area around each hole and tap them in a little, then weld each shut with a stud welder. Cut the studs down and grind flush. Check Harbor Freight for an 'autobody stud welder', around $100.
That sounds like a great idea!! I might be able to handle that one.

Thanks!

andy
Old 04-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,122 Times in 997 Posts
You know the fact of the matter is, if you aren't coating the inside of that rocker with a cavity wax or something you are kidding yourself with certainty that it isn't going to rust out or what ever be it welded or filled with bondo!

When you weld up the hole, the metal is heated enough to burn any protection off the back. We are talking paint, primer or EVEN a zinc coating the metal may have (most every piece of metal on a car the last few decades has a zinc "galvanizing" over it) is GOING TO BE burnt off, gone. So now you have a bare metal spotlessly clean bare metal that is dying to rust inside that rocker. However, it rusting thru up on the side of the rocker where water isn't going to sit, or hardly ever get on, this is still your best bet, even without the metal protected.

If you fill it with a quality filler like Everglass from Evercoat, it's going to very likely depend on where you live, but it may just last as long. I have seen this stuff here in sunny California last decades and you don't know it was even there until you strip the area for another repair or something.

Welding the stud is a good idea but you have to watch out because it still isn't sealed completely off, there is no way you can guarantee that the stud has "melted" into the metal all the way around the hole. I would say it is very unlikely that it would happen on more than half of the holes. If this is the case you have a very thin coating of filler over it and it would fail pretty fast if some moisture were to seep thru that little crack in the metal where it didn't get penetration.

Being you can't sand and primer and paint the back side of these hole repairs you are really tossing the dice anyway you look at it.

Click here for an example of cavity wax.

All I know is what ever you do, running a "wand" in that rocker with cavity wax is going to be your best bet at stopping any kind of rust from starting.

Brian
Old 04-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Thanks Brian for the very informative and thoughtful reply. Certainly alot of factors going on all at once and pluses and minuses to every solution. I have some time to mull this one over, not doing rockers tomorrow.

As I did say previously, my cars are garaged,never washed and never see rain and that will continue. So it doesnt have to be a super ultimate repair. I think I have like 6 holes to fix on each side of the car. I may indeed go the Evercoat route on this one.

Andy
Old 04-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

If you have decided to fill the holes and not weld them, let me give one other suggestion. Cut some woven fiberglass cloth diagonally so that you end up with approximately 3/16 or 1/4 inch slivers of fiberglass. Mix up a batch of 2 part Epoxy cement and add the fiberglass slivers to it until it becomes a paste. You can then apply that to the holes you have "tapped in". The epoxy cement is much stronger than the polyester resin and should give you a little more longevity. Also it will shrink less. You will need to put a thin coat of body filler over it so the texture does not show through to your paint..... Good luck.

John L.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Either way, weld, stud, or "cave and pave". will rust out eventually, unless you seal it from behind.
That being said, the weld, or stud, will hold out longer than "cave and pave".

Now, Whatever method you choose. There is a way to access the back side
enough to coat it with a good quality product such as POR-15, or ACF-50. Or anything that will seal it from moisture.
On some cars there is a couple of access holes, either in the inner rocker, or under the sill plate. If there isn't any, you can use a hole saw to make a few holes in the inner rocker through which you can spray a generous amount of some sort of coating. Then plug the holes with proper size rubber/plastic plugs. Remember to seal the plugs.

Also, when properly done, the "cave and Pave" method will hold up for many years.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.