Filling a new turbo 350 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2007, 02:10 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Filling a new turbo 350

I'm working on a customer car that has a fresh rebuilt hotrod turbo 350 (behind a hotrod 350 sbc). It was assembled several years ago and never run or used. I pulled the pan and other than a few spots of trans fluid it is bone dry.

Unfortunately it is already installed in the car and I doubt that the converter was filled or primed before installation.

Is it possible to feed fluid thru the lower cooler line and at least prime the pump??? I'm sure there is at least assembly fluid in the trans but after several years it may be pretty dry. It turns over very easy with the converter bolts out. Maybe I could just put about 8 qts in the trans and fire it up then adjust the level as necessary.

It would be lot of extra work to remove the trans at this point but of course it may be even worse if it get's messed up.

I've not done it this way before. We always filled the converter before installation and just started the motor up. Never had problems even on cars that sat for a while.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 PM

Last photo:

Put about 6 qts in and fire her up, run it thru the gears , put back in park and top off should be ok.However if it is really making ya nervous just to be safe you could remove the converter bolts from the flexplate.put 6 qts. in it and spin the conveter several times to prime the pump.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:26 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Thanks barny... I think I'll just do the fill like you say. It should pick up the prime ok. I looked up the oil circuits and with about 3-4 qt initial over fill the oil is almost even with the bottom of the pump.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.