Hot Rod Forum banner

Filling the roof on a Model A?

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  cliff tate 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to start work on a 29 model-a sedan. I was wondering what I should use to fill the roof? Can I use a regular piece of sheet metal or do I need to find something with a crown to it?

If I need a crowned piece, what's a good canidate for a donor? The car still has all the original roof bows in it, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I used a vega station wagon top the on my 30 coupe it fit great,I know a sedan would be longer to fill, a flat piece might work that big of section might be hard to get it smooth,maybe skin off of suburban or like that that has some shape to it? Just some ideas.

#3 ·
I have a 31 Tudor. The roof has quite a bit of crown to it. Could be difficult to do with a large flat piece, although I am sure Randy Ferguson could tell you how to do it. I have to roof panel out of a Chevy Tahoe laying on mine right now,(someplace to store it) and it doesn't want to lay flat enough, so would take some work.

#6 ·
If you look in my profile, you will see 2 pictures of my top. First of all I have a 1931 Ford Sedan 2 doors (Tudor). I started by removing the woods that was around the top. I then got myself some 3/4 inch square tubes to weld a rectangle around the car over the doors and the front windshield.

After that I shaped some more tubes to make the round form of the top. (it is not perfect but the interior will cover it :D). I made 3 pieces that goes from left to right and a couple more between them that goes from from to back. They were welded and grinded.

Once I have the shape I wanted, I cuted a piece of sheetmetal the size of the top. Once I had the right size i glued it with Epoxy glue (I don't know the exact name but it is used to glue car parts). I putted some weights on it over the night to make it glue right. After it was glued correctly, I then welded all around the sheet to the old top.

Just make sure you shape the metal before you glue it :D. I learned from mistakes. It might not be the best way to make it but it worked with me and it seems to be pretty solid. You should not weld it because it will probably warp the metal. I used 22ga galvanized metal to do it but you should use 18-20 ga.

I hope it will help someone and good luck with your top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.