Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Body - Exterior (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/body-exterior/)
-   -   Filling in the roof opening (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/filling-roof-opening-122346.html)

1930u 08-16-2007 08:34 PM

Filling in the roof opening

Hi all,

Been really busy the last couple of months working on my old 30 Plymouth Coupe. I need some help figuring out how to cut and form the metal to fill in the roof opening. I dont want to just weld in a flat sheet. And I don't want to use a station wagon or mini van roof...or should I? Do I flange it and drop in or butt weld it?

Does any one have any photos or an article about how to do it.

Thanks

baddbob 08-16-2007 10:14 PM

I've done a few and always used doner roof metal. Make yourself a template or the contour needed both lengthwise and width, then go searching the salvage yards for a donor roof with a similar contour. A mid 70's ford truck crewcab works good for older ford sedans, a filler piece for a coupe should be even easier to find with all the small cars available. No need for using a stationwagon or minivan roof with the ribs, you can use a smooth roof. Mark a centerline on your roof and also the donor piece and use this for alignment as you trim to fit. Make sure your roof bracing is fitted will before you tackle the fill job-the braces/bows need to be spaced about 1/8" from the roof skin and after the install you'll fill this void with antiflutter foam. Cut the original channel away so you can do a good butt weld and you'll need to do some hammer and dolly work while you weld the new piece in to control fit and warpage. This is a slow process so plan on spending some time. I usually start from the center rear and work my way outwards to the sides and stop halfway along the length, then start again at the center front and work both the side and front out to each front corner-if that makes sense. Once it's all tacked in place and fitting good then go back and slowly tack untill it's welded solid. Prime the underside with epoxy before installation except for the very edge where it will be welded. After it's all welded and ground flush and any hammer work and shrinking done then apply your anti flutter foam.

jalopy45 08-16-2007 10:19 PM

:pimp: You might find that a station wagon or van roof may be your best bet. You can make a length-wise and a width-wise template of your roof and take them to wrecking yard and lay them on as many as possible to find the right contours. You might also check the sedans and pick-up??? If you flange you leave a place for moisture to accumulate so butt welding may be the best on a roof, you'll have to be careful with heat buildup and warping. :thumbup:

F&J 08-17-2007 05:58 AM

Also in case your are wondering about a new flat panel made from a 4x8 sheet: It will look bad plus be close to impossible to weld in without real bad waves. The donor roofs mentioned above will all have a slight compound curve which makes it less likely to 'oil-can' or warp. Plus they will look tons better that flat metal.

30u, how did you handle the door hinge fitting? The reason I ask is that you said you bought universal hinges, and I would like to know if those came from Speedway motors? and what quality are they? I need some hinge recommmendations. Thanks

1930u 08-18-2007 07:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Thank you all! I will make my pattern and march off to the junk yard. If I can find a roof with a 36" compound radius it will work.

FJ

I did use the speedway hinges. I have the doors on and swinging but I have not done any final work as far as shim and adjusting. I am going to wait until I pull the body blast it and get it back on for the final fitment. The speedway hinge is good but their cast pieces so your tweeking is limted.

Heres a few pics of where I'm at as of today. I love this car!!!

75gmck25 08-19-2007 02:18 PM

Does anyone ever use a sunroof-type panel to fill in the opening in the roof? I think I'd like a pop-up or partial slide-back panel instead of a solid roof.

Bruce

31chevy 08-19-2007 07:02 PM

1930u realy would like to follow your build. Could u start a journal?

baddbob 08-19-2007 07:25 PM

Cool coupe! I see you must be a PAW customer :D You should be able to find a donor roof easily for that one IMO.

baddbob 08-19-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75gmck25
Does anyone ever use a sunroof-type panel to fill in the opening in the roof? I think I'd like a pop-up or partial slide-back panel instead of a solid roof.

Bruce

Sure you could do a sunroof manual or power, heck you could even do T-tops (ick) if wanted. Just plan on spending lots of time on any conversion like that.

1930u 08-21-2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31chevy
1930u realy would like to follow your build. Could u start a journal?

to 31chevy

I'm not sure my computer skills or time support me having a journal. I will look into it though. For now here's a link with more pics of my old Plymouth. I hope to blast the body in a couple of weekends. My goal is to get epoxy primer laid down before the snow flys.

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ect/?start=all

1930u 08-21-2007 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baddbob
Cool coupe! I see you must be a PAW customer :D You should be able to find a donor roof easily for that one IMO.

to badbob

yes i have bought a few parts from PAW mostly shiny bell and whistle kind of stuff. I'm using a blown 392 Hemi. Most of the engine stuff I bought from Hot Heads and the rest I made.

heres a link for more PICS

http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ect/?start=all

31chevy 08-21-2007 05:54 PM

hey how much did ya purchase tthat body for and how far from your home??

Chevrolet4x4s 08-21-2007 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 75gmck25

Bruce

I bet a later model Caviler/Sunfire would work for this
Shane

1930u 08-21-2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chevrolet4x4s
I bet a later model Caviler/Sunfire would work for this
Shane

Thanks Shane I have a Cavalier I will check it.

1930u 08-21-2007 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 31chevy
hey how much did ya purchase tthat body for and how far from your home??

Well 31 I'm ashamed to say. I looked the world over and couldn't find one I could afford...so lets just say I had a vision that I cuold fix this one. Am I stupid or what???? Its cost a one way plane ticket, a shuttle fee to a Ryder truck agency, 1000 miles on the road.