Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Filling in the roof opening
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2007, 11:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've done a few and always used doner roof metal. Make yourself a template or the contour needed both lengthwise and width, then go searching the salvage yards for a donor roof with a similar contour. A mid 70's ford truck crewcab works good for older ford sedans, a filler piece for a coupe should be even easier to find with all the small cars available. No need for using a stationwagon or minivan roof with the ribs, you can use a smooth roof. Mark a centerline on your roof and also the donor piece and use this for alignment as you trim to fit. Make sure your roof bracing is fitted will before you tackle the fill job-the braces/bows need to be spaced about 1/8" from the roof skin and after the install you'll fill this void with antiflutter foam. Cut the original channel away so you can do a good butt weld and you'll need to do some hammer and dolly work while you weld the new piece in to control fit and warpage. This is a slow process so plan on spending some time. I usually start from the center rear and work my way outwards to the sides and stop halfway along the length, then start again at the center front and work both the side and front out to each front corner-if that makes sense. Once it's all tacked in place and fitting good then go back and slowly tack untill it's welded solid. Prime the underside with epoxy before installation except for the very edge where it will be welded. After it's all welded and ground flush and any hammer work and shrinking done then apply your anti flutter foam.