filling in weld pin holes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2014, 05:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

filling in weld pin holes

ok, im not a professionally welder lol. My little mig welder has left a few pin holes in my sheet metal repair. What is good to fill these in with before laying filler over it? I've heard bondo glass is good, and I've heard just seam sealer will work. I don't want the filler to start bubbling a few years down the road. thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Automotive Extraordinaire

Last photo:

Usually the best thing to do is to weld them up if there is any chance of moisture getting in from the back side. There may be other options that won't cause a problems later on if the holes are in the weld bead and don't go all the way through. Can you post a few pictures?

Kelly
Old 01-23-2014, 12:11 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

I'd grind it flat and try to lay a weld over the entire area affected. You'd figure whatever was causing it had burned away for the next weld.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:22 AM

Last journal entry: Still running strong

If they are really small pin holes like the ones I get I'll wait until I'm done an ready for the first coat of epoxy, spray that an the ones that are still their, usually all of them then I'll fill them with body filler/galze, sand an then the next coat of epoxy.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwater View Post
If they are really small pin holes like the ones I get I'll wait until I'm done an ready for the first coat of epoxy, spray that an the ones that are still their, usually all of them then I'll fill them with body filler/galze, sand an then the next coat of epoxy.
That's what I do when its a daily driver (modern car) I use the EZ sand finishing putty from Evercoat but on the old stuff that matters I'll grind and reweld....When I doing my best work my goal is to not be able to see a weld seam after grinding and dressing BEFORE it's primed. the choice is yours, we do it both ways...My main problem is I hate putting primer on something that looks so pretty, I want to look at it for a couple days...
The Following User Says Thank You to deadbodyman For This Useful Post:
tech69 (01-23-2014)
Old 01-23-2014, 08:47 AM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman View Post
but on the old stuff that matters

hahahaha. nice one.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

I've tried to chase them around and fill with more spot welds, but seems to never end. I'm just looking for something to fill it in and water proof it. No matter what the areas that I'm working will need some regular filler.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:53 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Clean and prep and spray epoxy primer. Do your body work on top of the primer. Like was said above once the primer is down you can fill the pin holes with glazing putty and work from there.
If these are panels you have replaced or spotted in make sure to clean and prep the BACKSIDE of all of the welds. If you don't they will be rusted out in a short time. The heated metal will rust much quicker then the rest of the panel and you need to get it cleaned and painted.
Mark
Old 01-23-2014, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

but what if you cant get to the back side of a weld?
Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM
Carter Carb Shop, parts & serv

Last photo:

Have you tried solder? I lead stuff quite a bit but you probably don't have the stuff to do that. But a little torch, flux and solder you are in business to do a permanent repair and have some fun doing it. It has to be extra extra clean to get it to flow.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68dustin View Post
but what if you cant get to the back side of a weld?
then you get a can of "paintable rubberized undercoating", the kind that dries, it comes with a long straw (like wd-40) and get it in there the best you can but you can usually get in there ...You try to plan for this when concidering where to put your seam ...If its something like a rocker you can drill a hole in the inner fender at the end of the rocker and use a wand to get in there then push in an undercoating plug to seal the hole...
Old 01-23-2014, 06:32 PM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I have had excellent results from dousing the welded area's (on the inside) with the spray on rust converter. It does turn the metal black and, after it sets up, it is pretty tuff. If I know I am not going to be able to clean and coat the back side of a welded seam this is what I do to take care of it.
Not to knock deadbodyman's suggestion but I stay away from those spray on undercoating's. Once water gets behind it, and it will, it will hold the moisture there with little ability to let it dry out. The rubber just holds it against the metal until it rusts through from the back side... I will throw on some cheap enamel paint after the converter and leave it alone. It is covered and it will drain so it should be good for a long time.
Just my thoughts
Mark
Old 01-23-2014, 07:10 PM

I'm on the east coat and were big believers in undercoating. Not so much in Ga. but up north ,like NY where I'm from, you can tell the newer cars that have gotten undercoated when they were new and the ones that were not by how big the holes are....places like rusty jones and Zbart are like the macco's they'll get it done but not too well..A good shop that does it right stays busy just doing undercoating...
Now on a hot rod that you don't drive in the rain and snow and keep in the garage...that's a whole different story you could do just about anything and never know the difference, a couple coats of epoxy primer is all it'll need and you don't need paint at all ...That's pretty much what everybody does here too but I like the extra protection on top of the epoxy IF you can get it in there ,usually you can...
Phosphoric acid is great stuff and works great on bare metal but if it gets on something that's primed or painted it HAS to be washed off (at least Ospho does) because it stays kinda sticky and if you paint over it the new paint or primer will scrape right off...I use it all the time but ospho is my only brand ,has been for well over 30yrs...I don't know of any brands that you can get it on paint and not have to wash it off before painting over...
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68dustin View Post
I've tried to chase them around and fill with more spot welds, but seems to never end. I'm just looking for something to fill it in and water proof it. No matter what the areas that I'm working will need some regular filler.
Are you using flux core wire ?? It is more prone to that than solid wire and gas. Sounds like the impurity isn't getting burned or blown out of the puddle.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.