Filter to reject Rustoleum posts? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

View Poll Results: Should Rustoleum posts be banned ?
YES: let them use the search function 10 28.57%
NO: let freedom of speech reign 25 71.43%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2010, 06:26 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Filter to reject Rustoleum posts?

How about adding a filter to the software that won't let rustoleum or speeling variations of it from even being posted?

IF someone wants to seek any info on it, let them use the search function. This topic is nothing more than an ongoing pissing match which is a total waste of time imho.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2010, 06:52 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

As irritating or "wasteful" as this topic might be to some, to others it might be of great interest. We have a number of similar topics on this forum which seem to get resurrected every month or two, some I find interesting, some I loath.

But my taste and interests are far different than yours. And the reverse is true as well. And I would not want to presume what you ought to be able to inquire about or what you should be able to comment on.

I suspect a better option would be to incorporate some sort of "ignore" function such as this site already uses for individuals. You can enter a person's screen name and all posts by that person will be blocked out from your viewing. Perhaps the software could be tweaked so you could "ignore" any posts containing words and subjects you do not want to read.

Obviously the other option is to just ignore these posts the old fashioned way...by simply not reading them and moving on to the next post.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:57 AM

Last journal entry: Bringing home the 401 Nailhead
Last photo:

I am in agreement with Cboy on this. If the threads become an issue the mods have the option of locking them against future posts.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

I did vote yes but also agree with Cboy only for one reason and that is hopefully it is our one "last chance" for all the experience painters on here to destroy that option in the mind of a total new on looker that may not know what the stuff is.

The biggest question in my mind is there are 4-5 people on here and that is all they are ever on here for and I find it REAL STRANGE, that this tread and the paint lacquer with a brush thread every so often will pop up from the dead by some guy who has never posted before.

The "brush thy lacquer" one is about due to be popped up again, so have any of you moderators thought about checking IP numbers???
Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

for all that this is a hotrodding site. most, if not all of us, have posted about somthing else, other than hotrodding.. I for 1 have posted about painting/ restoring lawn mowers and snow blowers.. both of these and more, could use rustoleum as the appropriate paint/ coating.... even tho after my newly restored/ repowered push mower only stayed shiny for a few months. I will be restoring my snow blowers with single stage acrylic enamel matched in the original colors
Old 06-10-2010, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

Actually those Rustoleum posts do a lot of good because when people who don't know any better read that nonsense in one of those goofy magazines or on another site they may not learn any better until it is too late. At least when the subject comes up here it gets exposed for the total nonsense it is and the folly of using the junk on one's car or truck is exposed and better options are presented. I seriously doubt if a single person has been convinced to use Rustoleum by those threads but I am willing to bet several have been convinced not to! Those guys, IMO, who argue that BS are just trying to justify what they have done and are trying to convince themselves but if they are really trying to convince someone else of something then rest assured they have, just not what they intend!
Old 06-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
I put this subject in with swapping frames. I am so friggin tired of seeing newbes ask about swapping frames I want to pull my friggin eye brows off when I read the thread topic.

HOWEVER, there ARE circumstances where swapping the frame COULD be an option, and I understand that. There are circumstances where painting a car with Rust-o-lium IS an understandable option, who are we to say?

I personally will continue to post simple to the point responses to people asking how to ruin their car with a frame swap and I suggest we do the same thing with Rust-o-lium posts as well.

We are here to educate. I mean, what's next, no posting about small block Chevys because Centerline and I hate them?

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 06-10-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

I Dinger answered my question as we both posted, so will delete mine. He makes some good points.

Last edited by BarryK; 06-10-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

No. as much as I hate bickering, name calling, as a Mod I have a job to do and hopefully today I will have time to separate the b.s from the useful information. Posts like this with the Rustoleum, rust reform and removal, painting with rollers and brushes just seem to annoy some folks, everything has a use, if only to serve as a bad example.

Another thing to remember is that we have members and viewers from around the world. What may be a terrible idea for folks in the U.S. may be an option somewhere else.

As a member of this site since 2002, there are topics that seem to come around time after time. As a Moderator, I read them, it's part of my duties. Folks that don't find them interesting or find them annoying, brush them off like a mosquito or the bothersome neighbor kid....Don't read them.

Added: I will leave this in the body forum for a day or 2, it has no technical merit, than off to the lounge, then Ponch or another Mod can decide if it should stick around.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 AM

Last photo:

Personally, if someone starts a thread or a thread goes off track, I can actually NOT read it. Anyone who thinks they have to read every post that comes up needs to get off any site and go out and start working on their project as they are spending way too much time on said board.

I say Freedom of Speech. One of the great rights the good ol' USA has. My .02 worth.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:58 AM

Last photo:

This reminds me of the global warming threads on the Pontiac resto site. There is a user there on a personal crusade to expose global warming as a conspiracy.

Whether or not I believe him is immaterial: I am sick of seing the subject brought up every other day and it has NOTHING to do with CARS. Its like hearing a broken record after a while.

But there is nothing to be done- he is posting in the "open forum" and not violating any rules. So...all you can do is avoid the posts.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

There are always going to be times when someone sets our hair on fire over something..And if one must use an industrial enamel ther are better products than the rusto stuff..What gets me is those guys who are bound and determined to use cheap junk in spite of all the info from guys who have tried it and found it does not work.

Sam
Old 06-10-2010, 09:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
for all that this is a hotrodding site. most, if not all of us, have posted about somthing else, other than hotrodding.. I for 1 have posted about painting/ restoring lawn mowers and snow blowers.. both of these and more, could use rustoleum as the appropriate paint/ coating.... even tho after my newly restored/ repowered push mower only stayed shiny for a few months. I will be restoring my snow blowers with single stage acrylic enamel matched in the original colors
Yup.

Matter of fact, Barry helped me out with a question I had a while back about using Universal Clear over Rustoleum for some outdoor light fixtures I was painting. Turned out we had both done it and the Rustoleum wrinkled. He told me to keep piling on the clear and it worked. By the way, the Universal Clear does work fine over Krylon paints. Done that on outdoor lights too.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:29 AM

Last wiki edit: Electrolytic rust removal
Last journal entry: 2.75 in..3.50 posi out
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I almost used blitz black....until I gleaned information FROM THIS SiTE, to know it wasn't the right paint....for me. As with ANY medium of information, we each have a choice to give only the amount of attention we WANT to give. Please let me censor for myself. BTW, I vote yes to ban sb chevys...LOL ..
Old 06-11-2010, 04:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

What else are you going to use on your lawn furniture???????? or car trailers???????800.00 a gal paint or BC/CC ,PLEEEEEEEZZZZEE.Theres a product for every job The problem comes from people with one or two paint jobs under there belt and think they're pros..

There already is a filter ....as soon as you see the word dont click the button.....BTW,If you cant (or wont) drive it to the show your not a hotrodder...there are other sites you can join.we even have a thread called "rust is a must " that one should put you guys over the edge... Its like a bad wreak ,you cant help but look

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.